Weldon's Practical Needlework Deluxe Edition
Weldon's Practical Needlework: Deluxe Edition
This lavished box set contains Volumes 1-6 of Weldon's Practical Needlework
Weldon's Practical Needlework was a popular Victorian magazine of knit, crochet, patchwork, and other "useful articles" involving needlework. Published in England roughly between 1885 and 1915, it offered women of the burgeoning middle class a variety of technical instructions and projects.
Now available as an extravagant boxed set, Weldon's Practical Needlework: Deluxe Edition contains the first 6 volumes of the series. Each hard-cover volume is comprised of 12 monthly issues. In addition to knit and crochet, each volume contains a variety of decorative needlework: crewel, appliqué, cross-stitch, macramé, smocking, bead netting, and other lesser-known techniques.
This box set serves as a historical document and a collector's item. Open a window to another time and place with Weldon's Practical Needlework: Deluxe Edition as you explore fashion, domestic life, and the history of needlework.
You'll love this exclusive needlework book if you're a:
- Lover of history and are looking for an inspirational resource on historical knitting, historical crochet, historical needlework, and vintage patterns.
- fan of PieceWork, Knitting Traditions, and Crochet Traditions magazines.
- Lover of hard copies of books, as they are becoming a rarity.
Five-star rating from a satisfied reader:
Piece of History
"Wow! What a pleasant surprise I received on opening my parcel containing Weldon's Practical Needlework Deluxe Edition, and what an insight into life during the Victorian era. Many happy hours ahead for me perusing this lovely publication."—Review by Anna, April 1, 2015.
This collection is a facsimile edition of the original Weldon's Practical Guide to Needlework and will satifsy the historical curiosities of knitters, crocheters, and needleworkers!
Order Weldon's Practical Needlework: Deluxe Edition today!
|Number Of Pages||912|
- WOW! Dizzying Collection of Knowledge
I am a person that peruses patterns and then creates something with varying degrees of connectedness.
This collection not only provides an enormous source of ideas, but insight into techniques and design.
This will be my bedside reading for 2016. I hope my husband isn't adverse to sticks and string in the bedroom. (Posted on 12/30/2015)
- Lovely books, with loads of good information
- Really enjoy the historical significance of these books, especially to fiber artists. (Posted on 9/25/2015)
- Piece of History
- Wow! What a pleasant surprise I received on opening my parcel containing Weldon's Practical Needlework Deluxe Edition,and what an insight into life during the Victorian era. Many happy hours ahead for me perusing this lovely publication. (Posted on 4/1/2015)
- Oh my goodness, I was not expecting the parcel that I received. I had not realised exactly what I'd ordered and was thrilled when I opened the parcel and discovered a glorious boxed set of books. Couldn't have asked for anything more. Wonderful! (Posted on 10/7/2014)
- An Incredible Collection
As someone who is relatively new to the world of vintage and collectible craft materials, I must admit I was overwhelmed by the incredible breadth of topics and instructional detail contained in the Weldon’s Practical Needlework collection. Each volume is something to pore over and every instructional engraving could be considered pieces of art on its own. Every stitch in the illustrations is so clear, I feel as though I could almost knit an edging or a sock from their pictures alone!
Not only something to be cherished as a keepsake, I could see this collection being used frequently in knitting or crochet design as a pattern reference or even a lace stitch dictionary. Have crafter’s block? Take a few pages and read about the structure of a bodice, construction of a practical knitted scarf, or browse through sections on Bulgarian embroidery and macramé lace. It’s hard to come away from Weldon’s without feeling inspired.
Reading through Weldon’s reminded me that no matter how far we come with modern, architectural designs, innovative construction, new tools, and technology in craft, we always go back to our roots. Crafting is a bridge through time, and even though some of the projects are delightfully archaic (“Night Dress Bag,” anyone?), there is something ultimately familiar and comforting about reading and using this collection. I can imagine excited crafters receiving their monthly newsletter with hope and expectation for what might be inside, friends chatting over tea about what projects they might want to try next. The scene might have not been so different from our own stitching groups today.
Even if you are already an avid collector of vintage craft materials, I can assure you that you will find something (likely many things) new to you in this beautiful, extensive compilation. From its hardback binding and box set, to its beautiful typeset headings, Weldon’s is an aesthetic pleasure to be treasured for generations as well as an enormous wealth of knowledge and history.
(Posted on 9/11/2014)
- Essence of the Victorians
- This is the Victorians in all their skilled and quirky glory. From "clox" for socks, and hose for ladies, gentlemen, and shepherds, strange yet functional household textiles, exquisitely fine laces, undergarments only a Victorian could imagine (steampunkers,eat your hearts out), to receptacles and reticules and other apocrypha, this gorgeously bound set will inspire not only crafting but conversation for years to come. It's a must-have! (Posted on 9/5/2014)
- A Beautiful Voice of the Past
- Thomas Carlyle wrote that "In books lies the soul of the whole Past Time: the articulate audible voice of the Past . . ." And that was my first thought when I saw this deluxe edition of Weldon's Practical Needlework. The boxed set is not only a presentation of historical patterns all in one gorgeous set, it is also a strong voice articulating Victorian society and culture through craft. The illustrations are amusing, some of the knitting and crochet patterns are, too, for that matter, but all six volumes have a diverse array of wonderful patterns as suited to today as they were a hundred years ago. (Posted on 9/4/2014)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed. To access and save your download please follow these instructions:
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Downloadable Products” *If you have purchased an online course, click "My Courses"
- Underneath the Product title will be the download link, click the link to view the PDF or Video
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click “Save”
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org
Digital Courses and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Courses”
- Click the button to the right of the Product Title labeled "Go To Course”
- This will open the course and video platform and place you in the dashboard.
- Under My Courses or My Videos you should see your recent purchase.
- Click the Start Course or Start Video button to the right to access your product.