Next Steps in Weaving: What You Never Knew You Needed to Know
Take your weaving to the beyond the basics and into the Next Steps in Weaving
There is a lot to learn about weaving and as a new weaver you might wonder what the next steps in weaving are in order to grow your skills. Next Steps in Weaving has the answers you're looking for. In this beautiful book by Pattie Graver, former Managing Editor of Handwoven magazine, you'll be introduced to various weave structures and concepts including twill, color-and-weave, overshot, summer and winter, and lace.
Pattie has woven her twenty years of hands-on experience in the pages of Next Steps in Weaving and consolidates hours of classes, self-teaching, information from publications, skills learned from other weavers, and weaving knowledge into this one must-have resource. It will save new weavers lots of time and help you discover your own weaving identity or focus.
This is not just a book of weaving recipes. Each topic is explained and supplemented with instructions for weaving a sampler and a project in order to solidify the concepts and enable you to design you own projects. In addition, the book offers troubleshooting tips and helps new weavers "know what they don't know" in order to expand your weaving expertise.
Although it is primarily concerned with 4-shaft weaving, Next Steps in Weaving also serves as a foundation that will allow weavers to easily grow to 8 shafts. Whether you're new to weaving, have the basics down, or are looking to improve your foundation skills, this book will be an asset to your weaving library.
|Number Of Pages||184|
- Next Steps
- I found this book intriguing for an intermediate weaver - and even for advanced weavers. It helps resolve problems with various weave structures and pushes you to learn something new. Even if you've been weaving a long time and have tried all these weave structures, the book helps you better understand how they work which will make it easier to use them in future weaving. A great guild library addition. (Posted on 9/6/2016)
- I love this book
- This book holds lots of information that I will use. I have been weaving for over 40 years and this book is easy to read and use. It has inspired me to try new techniques. It has produced some AHHA moments as well (Posted on 7/26/2016)
- Very informative!
I don't know why the poster prior to me stated that there isn't anything about overshot. There is 26 pages, Chapter 3 that deals with nothing but overshot!
I've been weaving for almost 2 yrs now, mostly twill and it was time to try other weaving structures. This books will guide you through any weaving structure you want to tackle. (Posted on 1/15/2016)
- Exciting. I wanted to try everything.
- I have many good weaving books, but this one made me want to try everything. It was beautifully laid out with clear explanations. I don't think I ever went through an entire weaving book on the day of delivery like this one. She explained things in a way that made sense. The importance of sampling was emphasized with beautiful useful samples to make. I will probably still use my Handweavers Pattern Book and Handweavers Companion more, but this will definitely be one of my go to books along with my print editions of Handwoven magazine. (Posted on 10/17/2015)
- Misleading/false description
Excellent book in many ways but the description that this book has "overshot, summer and winter, lace, and doubleweave" is inaccurate and misleading. There is no section on doubleweave; the words do not even appear in the glossary or index. Since doubleweave is the PRIMARY reason I bought this book, I am leaving this low star review.
To swallow my personal disappointment and be fair to author and the book as a whole, it is excellent for the subjects it does address. Instructions are clear, graphs/pictures are clear, the tone of the writing is pleasant. It is worth the cost of the book as long as you buy it knowing there is no doubleweave section. (Posted on 8/27/2015)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.