Weaving with Novelty Yarns DVD
Weaving with Novelty Yarn
with Tom Knisely
Many weavers have been taught that there are “weaving yarns” (the ones that come on cones), and then there are “novelty” knitting yarns that can’t be used on a loom.
|In this video, master weaver, mythbuster, and yarn explorer Tom Knisely shows that weaving yarn doesn’t have to come on a cone, and that weaving with novelty yarns opens a whole new world of design possibilities for woven fabric.|
Tom has spent his teaching and weaving career in a yarn shop, experimenting with every kind of yarn there is, and now you can reap the riches of his vast experience, his weaving wisdom, and his ever-present sense of fun. With Tom at your side, every delicious yarn in your stash or your local yarn shop will become fertile ground for your weaving imagination.
|Order your copy of Weaving with Novelty Yarn today!
- So much more than novelty yarns
I think it's unfair to give a one star rating to this video because it's perhaps not titled correctly. Is there more that could be said about weaving with novelty yarns, yes, but he gives great guidelines to help weavers decide whether a novelty yarn could be used in the warp or weft, and how to combine a variety of yarn sizes and textures into one project.
I had so many "No way!" moments watching this video, I lost count. I've been weaving for three years, and was excited to learn a less straining way to sley the reed, tie on, and thread the heddles with one hand. Tom is a very clear and thorough teacher and I'd recommend this video to any weaver. (Posted on 3/29/2016)
- The techique doesn't always work
- The production values of this product are excellent, and he is always a very good teacher. But the techniques he recommends don't always work out and our questions couldn't be answered in the video; we are not novice weavers. It'd take too long here to tell you the problems and why the projects failed. If you have smooth sailing with your mixed warps, then you are fortunate. (Posted on 12/5/2015)
- Misleading Title
This video would be more aptly described as a warping refresher weaving a simple scarf using a mixed warp. The video spends maybe ten minutes discussing novelty yarns. The rest of the video shows how to warp your loom and hemstitch. I was hoping for a larger discussion on how to incorporate novelty yarns into weaving and how to overcome some challenges that could come up. The only real information was how to come up with a sett for a plain weave scarf. No mention of using them for supplemental warps or wefts. No hints on how to overcome a yarn so slippery it won't hold a knot or how to use that cone of eyelash yarn that looked so pretty.
Tom Knisely does a nice job describing how he warps the loom and gives some helpful hints. That is not what I was expecting on this video. There are other videos whose main purpose is to explain the basic weaving process. (Posted on 6/18/2015)
- Very Good
- This video is very informative with many tips and processes that apply to all facets of weaving, not just weaving with novelty yarn. It's one of the best videos on weaving I've ever viewed. (Posted on 6/7/2015)
- Great shortcuts
- This video really helped tie it all together for me. Great tips and shortcuts. Clear instructions. (Posted on 5/10/2015)
- Answers a lot of my questions
As ever, even on a DVD about weaving with novelty yarn, Tom Knisely has many tips on other parts of weaving. I found the dvd to be informative and helpful on using novelty yarn.
I liked it, and have a project designed to try these yarns next. (Posted on 4/22/2015)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.