Wabi Sabi Painting with Cold Wax
You will love this book if:
- You like to work abstractly
- You are interested in mixed-media art
- You want to learn more about the Japanese concept wabi-sabi
The ancient philosophy of wabi-sabi honors the imperfect, the transitory and the humble. If you are looking to explore this aesthetic then Wabi Sabi Painting with Cold Wax is the perfect guide for you. Cold wax is an incredibly malleable medium and Serna Barton and 12 additional artists will show you how to use it with oil paints and other mediums for visually pleasing effects.
No matter your experience level, learning to paint with cold wax will help you approach your work with confidence and a sense of adventure. Explore the liberating process of texturing, layering, building up and scraping back to create a fascinating “history of surface.” Add layers for atmosphere, depth and meaning to you paintings that will developing your more intuitive artistic voice. Each work you create will result in a one-time-only way, resulting in fiercely original abstract paintings honoring your own process of self-discovery.
In Wabi Sabi Painting with Cold Wax you will find:
- 29 step-by-step demonstrations cover various techniques for working with oil paint and cold wax medium.
- Dozens of mark-making techniques with a variety of tools, most of which can be found in your kitchen or junk drawer.
- Methods to excavate using various approaches for incising, exposing and scraping away layers.
A Word from the Author
“My art is inspired by the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi. Wabi-sabi is a philosophy and aesthetic that honors the imperfect, the transitory, the humble and the hand-made. It honors the changes of nature, the seasons, objects and ourselves. It evokes a sense of acceptance of the transitory nature of life. Creating intuitive, wabisabi- inspired art with cold wax and oil paint is like taking a journey--a journey without a map.”--Serena Barton
About the Author
Serena holds creativity and art workshops, as well as group and individual art coaching at her studio and
at national art retreats. She exhibits and sells her work through galleries and shops, as well as online. Serena has published Wabi-Sabi Art Workshop (North Light, 2013) and A Joyful Frenzy, a book of her artwork with text on the stories and processes behind the work. Her magazine articles have appeared in issues of Cloth Paper Scissors magazine and Studios magazines and in Cloth Paper Scissors e-Books.
Serena’s greatest joy is to provide an atmosphere in which you can discover or rekindle your own creative abilities. She lives in Portland, OR with her partner, near her children and grandchild. She loves hanging out with family and friends and is an avid reader.
|Number Of Pages||144|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.