The Handweaver's Pattern Directory
This weaving compendium is destined to become the next reference tool on every weaver's bookshelf! The Handweaver's Pattern Directory is a full-color practical guide to weave structures for 4-shaft looms that features drafts for 600 weaves including twill, zigzag, diamond, herringbone, block drafts, and specialized techniques. Each structure includes a color photograph, threading and treadling sequences, and degree of difficulty. Readers will find sections on tools and equipment, types of fibers and yarns, weaving basics, finishing techniques, ideas to encourage experimentation with different yarns, looms, and colors, and a full glossary of international weaving terminology.
The book is divided into five sections for clarity: straight draft, point draft, block weaves, lace weaves, and specialized techniques. Individual samples are shown actual size or bigger from the front view, with a detail showing the reverse view where this is of particular interest. For purposes of comparison and pattern clarity, for each two-page unit of samples, the same color thread is often used for warp or weft. Extended samples (gamps) use different threading drafts and thread color combinations to increase the range of options available to the weaver.
The compact size and lay-flat binding is convenient for keeping near the loom. As an added bonus, an extended flap carries an explanation of the weaving drafts, so beginner weavers can have the information at their fingertips. The Handweaver's Pattern Directory is a refresher for experienced weavers and a great starting point for new weavers learning their weave structures.
"Highly recommended for public libraries and textile collections in academic institutions. If you can buy only one book on handweaving this year, this is the one." - Library Journal
|Number Of Pages||256|
- Exactly what I needed
- I discovered this book in our local public library, renewed it twice then realized I needed my own copy. The color adds so much more to visualizing the variety available among and between various warping and threading designs. (Posted on 10/27/2016)
- Great Four Shaft Reference Book
- The Handweaver's Pattern Directory by Anne Dixon is a great four shaft loom reference book. The drafts are arranged by tie-up which makes sampling the various weave patterns easy. It is convenient to have 600 patterns in one book. The illustrations make it easy for even beginning weavers, like me, to create a successful project. (Posted on 1/6/2016)
- This book is very clear and concise in its instruction. The possibilities for weaving are endless and I would recommend this book to anyone who is serious about weaving. Love this book! (Posted on 7/24/2015)
- Excellent Resource
I learned to weave years ago using "A Handweaver's Pattern Book" by Marguerite Porter Davison. It was literally my bible during those first years. Now, I have another bible to refer to. And, this one is in color! I think it is a great resource for those just starting out and a wonderful inspiration for those with experience.
(Posted on 1/4/2015)
- There are a lot of books on weaving, but this is one book to own. I'm new to the art and this book has helped me a great deal with its simple but thorough explanations, the color photos and suggestions. The drafts are easy to read and covers a wide variety of weave structures from tabby to rep. Now I have the 2 D's; Dixon and Davison! Weaving just became a whole lot easier. Interweave, thanks for a great buy! (Posted on 7/14/2014)
- Great book, easy to read
- This book was recommended to me by several weaving friends and it didn't disappoint. It is well laid out, easy to understand and the pattern variations are great. (Posted on 6/3/2014)
- You will want to own this book!
- This book puts a wealth of information at your fingertips. It just arrived in today's mail and I've been unable to put it down for the past couple of hours. Everything is explained from start to finish. Beautiful patterns are clearly pictured and explained with examples of different warp/weft combinations used to achieve different effects. This will be my go-to book for many years to come. (Posted on 4/23/2014)
- Best weaving book out
- After weaving on a rigid heddle loom for a while I decided that I wanted to expand my weaving knowledge to a floor loom. I bought an 8 shaft loom (used loom at an unbelievable price!) but decided to use only 4 shafts for now. I have several weaving books and they are great books but this book is "THE" book to have as a weaver. Very well thought out, easy to understand, and excellent photos of the cloth. If you could only have one weaving book make it this book!! (Posted on 9/19/2013)
- It's good
- I'm new to weaving and have been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on. This book shows many interesting patterns that can be used for anything you may be making. I'm the kind of person that always gets caught up in "bigger is better" so when all I could fit in my house was a small table loom I was kind of disappointed until I found this book and saw all of the really cool things I could do with just 4 shafts. It's basic enough that it shows how to read a draft and gives tips on how to start and end a project without fuss. I've really enjoyed this book so far. (Posted on 2/7/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.