The Complete Works of Alden Amos
Price as configured: $60.00 Regular Price: $216.75
The Complete Works of Alden Amos
Alden Amos may have been best known as a writer and a spinning wheel builder. Years of experimenting and tinkering taught him how to make a spinning wheel that best suits its spinner, and years of spinning practice gave him wide-ranging wisdom and opinions. Alden's interests were broad: history, spinning technique, and fiber, to name just a few.
Spin-Off and Interweave were lucky to be publishers of all of Alden's published works (that we know of), and this collection brings them all together in digital format. Spanning 40 years, he wrote books and magazine articles and created a highly entertaining video on understanding spinning wheels.
This collection presents Alden's work in its original context, presented in the full magazine issues and video. His work exists as part of the spinning community, and so beside his words you can read those of his fellow spinners, teachers, and writers.
See what's inside the collection:
Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning: Being a Compendium of Information, Advice, and Opinion on the Noble Art & Craft
Wheel designer and maintainer of textile traditions, Alden Amos the recipient and evaluator of traditional wisdom lets no point go unexamined. This is truly a BIG book offering decades of experience in making and handling yarn. He'll change your spinning for the better, whether you agree with him or not.
Spinning Wheel Primer
Scotch tension, flyer lead, bobbin lead, double drive, double treadle, wheel ratios - what do they all mean? The mechanics of spinning wheels can confound even the most technically apt. This small tome lays out the fundamentals in clear layman's language and explicit line drawings.
Know Your Wheel
In this DVD, you'll hear Alden Amos and Cindy Lair expound on the wheel function and maintenance problems they most often encounter, and you'll learn their special tricks for dealing with them. Looking at a wide range of wheels, you'll learn to feel at ease with your wheel as a productive machine. You'll gain the confidence to tackle problems, wield tools, and forge a long and happy relationship with your wheel.
Spin-Off: Essentials of Handcarding
Looking for a way to build on your carding skills? This eBook was designed with you in mind! With these articles from some of Spin-Off's most distinguished contributors, you can turn your carding experience from confusing to confident.
13 Spin-Off Magazine Digital Issues
The Complete Works of Alden Amos is anything but that without Spin-Off magazine. As one of Spin-Off's most faithful contributors, with articles spanning 35 years, Amos left us with educating and informative pieces ranging from wheel mechanics to hemp fiber to a favorite subject: rope. With this collection, you'll receive 13 digital issues of Spin-Off that Alden Amos lent his wit and knowledge to. From Spin-Off's days as an annual publication in 1980 to 2015's plying issue, you'll receive Spin-Off, 1980, 1981, Summer 1984, Spring 1985, Spring 1987, Winter and Spring 1990, Winter, Spring, and Fall 1997, Winter 2002, and Summer and Fall 2015.
Download The Complete Works of Alden Amos Today!
- The Best Source for Spinners
- So much for so little! All the articles Alden Amos wrote over the years--such a deal! Such a wonderfully knowledgeable person. So sorry there will be no more. Get the information while it's still available. (Posted on 9/3/2016)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.