Three Bags Full: How to Select, Prepare, & Spin a Great Fleece with Judith MacKenzie
This product will be accessible from My Online Workshops located in My Account after purchase.
Judith MacKenzie offers in–depth instruction on selecting, preparing, and spinning a great fleece in this streaming version of her four–hour comprehensive video! This is an ultimate guide for any spinner wanting to gain more knowledge about spinning wool.
Have you wandered around the fleece tent at a fiber festival, eager to buy a fleece but intimidated by all of the choices? Do you know what to look for in a fleece? How do you choose the perfect one for the project that you have in mind? Will you have enough to make a sweater or a shawl?
In this video, wool judge and master spinner Judith MacKenzie shows you what to bring home (and what to pass by).
Travel with her to the Estes Park Wool Market in Colorado and look through dozens of fleeces as she finds the best choices for any project, whether you are looking at knitting a fine shawl or weaving a sturdy rug.
At the Estes Park Wool Market you will look at:
- Primitive Fleeces
- Luster Longwool Fleeces
- Fine to Medium Fleeces
Once your fleece is home, what do you do with it? Judith demonstrates how to examine your fleece and sort it for a better spinning experience; clean it; and then store it until you're ready to spin. Learn several ways to wash fleece, and how to comb and card it. Finally, spin that fiber into the perfect yarn for your project.
In This Online Workshop, You Will:
- Learn how to spot the best fleeces in the wool show (and the ones to avoid)
- Meet the sheep that produce your fleece, from spotted Jacobs to magnificent Merinos
- Learn to lay out a fleece and sort it, from the choicest sections to seconds to waste
- Discover many options for washing wool, from the washing machine (really!) to lock by lock
- Card and comb fiber to create cushy batts and dreamy top
- Use fine, medium, longwool, and primitive fleeces in your spinning
You'll walk away from your next festival with the fleece of your dreams and the knowledge to create any yarn you please.
This workshop comes with a handy pocket guide to choosing fleece as well as a downloadable guide to washing wool.
- Introduction & Workshop Overview
- Meet Judith MacKenzie
- Welcome to the Estes Wool Market
- In the Fleece Tents
- Meet Some Sheep!
- Caring for Your Fleece
- Preparing Fleece for Spinning
- Introduction to Fiber Preparation
- Fleece Transformed
- Spinning Your Fleece
- Conclusion and Course Survey
Watch a Preview Now:
Techniques Covered: Evaluating & selecting a fleece; sorting, washing, and storing fleece; combing and carding wool; spinning wool.
Skill Level: Any level will benefit from this online workshop. Whether you are a new spinner or have a lot of experience, you'll find something to enjoy here.
Materials Needed: None required. Optional: drum carder or hands cards; hand combs; buckets and containers for washing and storage; gentle detergent; spinning wheel or spindle.
This Online Workshop Includes:
- Access to your videos anytime, anywhere, with a computer, tablet or smartphone
- Unlimited access to watch videos at your time and pace
- Videos, downloads, and interactive content designed for a better learning experience
- Video Lessons: Run time 236 minutes
About the Instructor
Judith MacKenzie has been spinning and weaving most of her life. Her traditional training has been expanded with world travel, deep research, and industry consultation. She writes and teaches extensively, and is the author of The Intentional Spinner and The Practical Spinner's Guide to Rare Luxury Fibers.
|Product Type||Online Workshop|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.