Spinning to Get Even: How to Spin Consistent Yarn Video Download
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Stop getting frustrated. Start getting even.
Almost every spinner wishes for even, uniform yarns, but the perfectly consistent skein can be elusive. Spinning teacher and author Beth Smith shows you how to take control of your yarn and create yarns that are more regular. In the process, she teaches you techniques for improving your spinning from first drafts to finishing.
In this spinning video you will learn:
- Beth’s secret for maintaining even twist
- When and how to count treadles for consistency
- How samples keep you on track at every stage of spinning
- Ways to maintain a steady grist in woolen, worsted, and plied yarns
Lumpy bumpy yarns no more! Join Beth on the chase for the perfect skein of consistent yarn in this video.
Watch a Preview Now:
About the Host:
Beth Smith is so obsessed with fiber that she has fleece in every room of her house, including her bathroom. She has a passion for spinning as many sheep breeds as possible and teaching students all over the world about the joys of fleece. Almost everything she knows is in her book, modern classic The Spinner’s Book of Fleece. Her video Spin Thin: How to Spin Fine Yarns is available from Interweave.
|Product Type||Video Download|
- Perfect for new spinners or those who find consistent yarns a challenge
This is the kind of instruction you would get from a patient teacher who really wants you to get more consistent yarn. The usual advise from spinners is to practice, practice, practice but if you are doing something the hard way or ineffectively you just have to hope you will stumble onto something that works eventually and that's a lot of your time and practice fiber you're using. Abby Franquemont's video, New Spinner's Guide to Troubleshooting,
is a good additional resource for problems in spinning. (Posted on 9/9/2018)
- Learned more every time I watched
I especially appreciated the discussion of how to get even woolen yarns. (Posted on 4/8/2018)
- Enjoyed it!
- Beth shows how to get a more consistent yarn, from the drafting to the treadling, and it made a difference in my spinning immediately. She is also the first person I've come across that has explained very clearly how to spin a consistent long draw. The information is easy to apply to different wheels as she explains how to make your set-up work for you. I really enjoyed the lesson and am glad I bought it. (Posted on 7/11/2016)
- I'm disappointed
- While the topic offers great opportunities to not only show the various challenges that different preparations offer, the exclusive use of commercially prepared fine wool is not really helpful. There was also a lot of "this is how I do it" and nearly not enough "but this and that and that way are also possible". The existence of other wheels, like spindle wheels, charkhas or electric spinners, is totally ignored. I wouldn't buy this class again. (Posted on 12/9/2015)
- Worth every penny
Although I have been spinning for a couple of years I consider my yarn beginner yarn because I have trouble with consistency. Well, make that had trouble. Because after buying this video lesson during the first few days of Spinzilla, I was able to spin trice as much yarn, in a far more consistent manner than I did in last years competition.
I even got the hang of long draw, which I had always fails miserably at.
My finished yarn is SO much better!
I will use this video to practice with and I'm sure, over time, will get better and better results.
The instructor delivers the lesson in a calm, easy to follow format. She is pleasant and humorous without being annoying.
I am so glad I made this purchase. A very small price to pay for great information.
I am grateful.
(Posted on 10/29/2015)
- Valuable information
I purchased the downloadable format of this video at the start of Spinzilla week. I consider myself a beginner because consistency has been my main spinning issue from the start a few years ago. I have taken formal classes with reputable instructors but none helped me as much as this class. After watching this video just once I finally got the trick to long draw, which I had, previously been an abysmal failure in. I tried all the techniques Beth Smith suggests in this class.
I was able to watch this video as I spun and watch I did! By the end of Spinzilla I had spun over twice what I did last year (2.4 miles) and had more usable, lovely skeins to show for it!
It is far from the lumpy "art" yarn of days past.
I will watch this video often to help me stay consistent and try to be a better spinner.
This video was easy to enjoy. The instructor delivers the lesson in a calm, pleasant tone, without losing the student along the way.
This was also my first purchase from this company but I can assure you, with well produced, high quality lessons, in an easy to use format, it will not be my last!
Spin on kids. We CAN make great yarn.
(Posted on 10/29/2015)
- So disappointing
I really, really wanted to like this.
I was hoping it would show me the skills to spin a smooth consistent yarn but in reality anyone with fibre as smooth and even as the one used in this video would spin smooth and even yarn.
There are a few tips along the way but the instruction is very uninspiring and flat. Ironically, I don't think this video would be good for beginners as it's rather disorganised.
So disappointed. (Posted on 10/17/2015)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.