Spinning Luxury Fiber Video Download
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Spinners today have such an abundance of fiber choices, sometimes it's hard to know where to begin - and to know how to handle these precious materials once you have them in your hands. In this extensive treatment of the best the fiber world has to offer, Master Spinner Judith MacKenzie shares what she's learned from deep experience in both craft and industry, with a hands-on teaching style that will give you inspiration, confidence, and good results.
This three-disk set covers:
- Silk, from cocoon to top to noil to magnificent blends
- Alpaca, both huaycaya and suri
You'll learn how to prepare each fiber, how to spin it, how to finish your yarn, and the fascinating history and lore of each.
|Product Type||Video Download|
- This download is very interesting and informative to watch however, I felt it could've been more in depth. Disk 1 covers silk. Judith Mackenzie explains the difference between Tussah Silk and other forms, shows the colour difference and shows some different forms silk is available in, including bricks. The viewer is shown how to spin silk from top preparation, silk hankies (the prinicples are the same for silk caps) and how to prepare silk noil for spinning. This disk, while not the primary reason I purchased this download, was very interesting, informative and very helpful to those who have not yet experienced spinning with silk. Disk two covers the camelid family. Starting with an overview of the different animals and fibres constituting the camelids, Judith shows a depth of knowledge about these animals and their origins I wasn't expecting. As well as explaining the difference between Paco-vicuna and vicuna, she shows the differences in type of coat for many of the animals and gives tips on what to look for when buying raw fibre. The viewer is shown how to comb alpaca fibre for spinning, how to card it for spinning, the difference in yarn produced by spinning it from the cards, combs or the fold and how to spin a marbled yarn from two differently coloured silk blends both in top form. I was, however, hoping to be shown more about how to spin other camelid fibres from their down form and was disappointed that wasn't really covered. Disk three covers other luxury fibres including Qiviut, Yak, Cashmere and Bison. Judith shows the difference in fibre length and suggests uses for each fibre. With the exception of Yak, again, most of the preparations used to demonstrate spinning on this disk were tops. I was hoping to be shown how to handle extremely short fibres such as cashmere and yak from their down form. This download is of good quality and while the camera can not show the detail hoped for in some sections (eg. showing how tightly the alpaca was spun in the Bolivian ladies wrap Judith shows at the beginning of disk two) and being somewhat slow to show close ups of the yarns Judith spins throughout the series, largely, the viewer is given a detailed background of the use of luxury fibres, their origins and the difference in yarns possible using different spinning techniques with the one fibre. Judith is sometimes talking to a different camera but I wouldn't like to be in a room with several cameras pointing at me, not knowing which one to look at and the viewer is still shown what she's talking about so it doesn't detract from the quality of the information being presented. In summary, this download is worth the money however, if you're looking for tips on how to spin luxury fibres (other than alpaca) from a form other than top, you may be best to start with videos available on you tube, I found some of them much more helpful for this. *** Interweave Response *** Thank you for all of your valuable and considerate input. We (Posted on 6/4/2011)
- Excellent video
- This set of videos is one of the most pleasant tutorials I have seen. Judith Mackenzies speaking manner is so nice and informative I was enthralled just listening to her. Everything is there as described, if you want to know about beautiful fibre, I can't recommend this highly enough. Just one thing to mention, Judith is quietly spoken, this may bother some, I found it refreshing. I think she is wonderful. (Posted on 12/25/2010)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.