Spinning Cotton (DVD)
Cotton was perhaps the most important fiber of the ancient world, clothing more people throughout history than any other. It remains one of the most important fibers today - think underwear and bluejeans! Sheets and towels! Yet cotton has been largely neglected by contemporary spinners in the developed world. Stephenie Gaustad aims to change all that. In this engaging video, you'll learn:
- How to prepare cotton, from boll to batt
- How to spin cotton with ease and efficiency on a wide range of tools, from tahkli to flyer wheel
- How to boil off and set twist in preparation for weaving, knitting, or what have you
Along the way, you'll be treated to fascinating historical asides, to inventive tricks for devising and adapting tools, and to an array of splendid made goods from socks to smocks to household cloths.
- Inspiration is getting to me!
- I am enjoying the 'Spinning Cotton' DVD. Haven't finished yet but savouring every drop of information as I go and getting inspired to rip into a summer of cotton spinning!!!! (Posted on 12/5/2014)
- Fear Cotton no More
I am a relatively new spinner and am in the experimental stage of trying to spin all types of fiber. However, thus far cotton is my only defeat. I cannot seem to get the right technique. However, I fear cotton no more after having viewed this video. I am finishing up the tencel that I am currently spinning and then will try my hand at cotton using the knowledge gained from this video.
Very informative and useful. (Posted on 7/22/2014)
- very good dvd well done
I have been interested in spinning cotton for awhile now,especially on a gambling spindle. Wasn't sure how,or how to even start. This dvd solved the problem. Or,at least got me started in the right direction. I did my first feeble attempts and after a while it looked possible!!!
I want to thank the Author for the kind words that built up my nerve.
And also the parts that said it takes lots of practice. (Posted on 12/22/2013)
- Fantastic video
I got this video because I was (surprise surprise) getting ready to learn how to use my cotton spinning kit. I watched Stephenie and she was so relaxed and confident as she spun, that I actually got up and grabbed my takhli and cotton to work with while watching and listening to her. She has a wonderful way of explaining things, and her personality shines. The video quality is fantastic and the camera gets in close when I wanted it to get in close.
I loved every part of the video and can see a charkha in my future as well as cotton plants thanks to the information Stephenie shared. I would recommend this video to everyone trying to learn more about spinning cotton. It definitely helped me.
(Posted on 7/12/2013)
- Thank you so much
- I'm very happy that I'm watching this video and also thank you so much for your wonderful work. (Posted on 6/22/2012)
- I love this DVD, very informative and easy to follow,with a lot of other useful information in addition to spinning cotton. (Posted on 10/15/2011)
- Stephenie Gaustad's "Spinning Cotton" is a winner!
- Informative, Organized, Well-Paced, Well-Photographed! I have been trying to learn to spin cotton on a tahkli with limited success. After viewing this DVD, I was able to incorporate some of Stephenie's techiques resulting in a major improvement to my spinning. I still have a long way to go--but practice makes perfect! :) In this DVD, Stephenie shares some of the history of cotton, discusses its unique properties, shows fiber preparation (seed removal, carding), and then demonstrates spinning on several types of hand spindles and various spinning wheels. The DVD is well organized, informative, and the techniques are clearly photographed. The presentation is permeated with Stephenie's intelligence and gentle humor. (Posted on 3/20/2011)
- Spinning Cotton
- This was a wonderful video. The information was presented slowly and carefully with precise visuals. The format was easy to follow and easy to go back to, for review. So much information!.....and so nicely presented. (Posted on 3/4/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.