Spin-Along Fiber Club Kit #3
Welcome to SPIN-ALONG, Spin-Off’s fiber club—designed especially for having fun, learning stuff, and making yarn.
What you have here are four different examples of the things people can do to fool Mother Nature.
Three of the fibers are based on bamboo, that lovely, sustainable, fast-growing plant. Here's a look at all the fiber's included in this kit:
What's the difference between these fibers?
You can treat bamboo like flax by removing all of the tough outer shell. This leaves the long, supple, reasonably soft inner fibers for spinning. You can treat it like viscose rayon, reducing it to a mushy state with chemical treatments, and then extrude it through spinnerets. The spinnerets can vary in size or shape, so this form of bamboo might vary, depending on where you get it. It feels so very different from the more textural bast bamboo – soft as a cloud, almost like cashmere. Finally, you can take this lovely soft fluff and blend it with another fiber of similar grist and length. In this case, it’s blended with Merino wool.
Finally, and this will require no sleuthing to identify, is Firestar. That’s a nylon that has been extruded in such a way that the edges catch light and sparkle.
'We hope you’ll share your spinning experiences. You will find a special forum on Spinning Daily. Just go to www.spinningdaily.com/forums/101.aspx. Post your comments, read what your fellow spinners are doing, post photos of your yarn or your finished or half-finished project. We’re saving a page in the Fall issue of Spin·Off to present some of your results.
In this package you will also find a little spinning wheel first aid kit to take along with you wherever you go to spin. The little kit includes:
Plus, you will get discount coupons from six of our special friends in the fiber business. Most of them have deadlines, so use them now.
What is the SPIN-ALONG Fiber Club?
Every 3-4 months we will bring you a brand new batch of fibers to try out ranging from sheep wool to alpaca to mohair to silk. This is the perfect opportunity to try out fibers you have been hesitant about or may have never heard of!
This is currently not a subscription based club*, so when you purchase the kit you are not signing up for any sort of long-term commitment. However, if you buy the kit now, you will be one of the first to learn about the next kit and will get first opportunity to order.
The next SPIN-ALONG package will be ready in about three months, and it will be completely different from this one. We hope you will stay with us.
*Please note that we can in the future become a subscription based club, where you would be regularly charged for our kits and automatically sent the next kit when it is available. We are not set-up to do that at the moment. If we do move to a subscription based club we will have clear messaging to inform you. Any kit purchase before the subscription is put into place does not mean you will be automatically added to the subscription. You will be notified and will have the option of signing up at that time.
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.