Sock Innovation Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-of-a-Kind Socks
Take your sock knitting off the charts! Cookie A., pioneer of the unconventional sock - think traveling stitches, mirrored pairs, twists on the heel, cables and lace - shares her secrets for making rule-breaking socks in Sock Innovation. Even if you haven't been bitten by the sock bug, you will find fascinating technique information!
Sock Innovation aims to increase the skills of any sock knitter by exploring design and advanced stitch manipulation. Fueled by Cookie's unique approach, you'll be able to make modifications to suit your needs and aesthetics (and not just in sock patterns). Sock Innovation goes beyond the basic sock and explores complex stitchery, treating the sock as a knitted canvas where elements are strategically and intentionally placed.
Cookie guides you through the details of her design process, which include:
- Choosing a stitch pattern to adapting it to be worked in the round, turned upside-down and inside-out, widened or narrowed
- Stitch manipulations covered in detail including resizing, texture modification, and converting between flat and in-the-round
- Plus, clear and thorough inventive instructions, accompanied by photographs and illustrations, so you'll learn to invent your own socks with unique details
In addition to a thorough exploration of her own techniques, Cookie presents 15 original new designs with floral lace patterns, angular geometric shapes, and unusual cables. Inspired by women and men among her friends and family, these socks display an incredible range of style and complexity, from sweet and simple to delightfully imaginative.
"Cookie A's sock patterns have been so popular that I know expectations were very high for this book. Having spent some time with it, I can say that the book meets and exceeds every expectation I had. This is a brilliant and valuable book that every avid sock knitter will want to own.
It's also a steal. You'd need an entire weekend workshop—which would cost you at least $100—to absorb what she presents in the design and technique section. And you get 15 gorgeous patterns that would normally retail for $6 to $6.50 apiece—adding another $90 to the tab. Instead, you get Cookie's wisdom, guidance, and inspiration for a mere $22.95. And best of all, it's captured on physical pages that you can leaf through again and again as you journey along your sock knitting path."
- Clara Parkes, Knitter's Review
|Number Of Pages||144|
- Purchased the book ages ago and absolutely love it. I have knitted so many of its patterns, and some multiple times (like 10 x Kai Mei, everyone wants a pair). It transformed me from an average knitter to a passionate knitter of socks, lace shawls and cable beanies because I learned how to do those through the book. I go back to it as a reference book to understand other sock patterns. (Posted on 9/11/2013)
- Sock Innovation by Cookie A
- I recently purchased the pattern book at a craft store where I live. I have not been able to put it down, except to pick up my sock needles or go to the yarn store for more yarn. I have never knitted from a chart, resized sox or even tried to design any. This book has given me invaluable tools toward knitting the beautiful patterns. The charts are large enough to read easily and they are well described, making them easy to use. Thank you to Cookie A for this wonderful book. So far my favorite pattern is Vilai, but I am working on Kristi now. My next pair is going to be Bex I think. I can''t decide so I will have to make them all. (Posted on 8/30/2010)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.