Sew Wild Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media + DVD
Sew Wild gives you the green light to make great surface design and mixed media art by breaking the rules and showing you there is no right or wrong way of creating. Enjoy the unlimited freedom and possibilities of color, pattern, and customizable fabric. Get wild with printing, painting, drawing, stenciling, and other surface design methods. Explore unique design materials such as plastic bags, photographs, and cardboard. Inside Sew Wild you'll find 12 simple sewing projects to make colorful, wearable, and hip designs, including a stunning wall quilt, adorable hats for kids or adults, a pretty wreath, cuff bracelets, and a modern ruffled apron.
Influenced by graffiti, collages, and nature, Alisa Burke shares more than 20 mixed-media and stitching techniques to transform fabric from boring to exploding with color and pattern. By freely exploring and combining many techniques with no restrictions, you'll develop the skills to make an infinite variety of handmade fabrics at a fraction of the cost of commercial prints. Alisa also demonstrates many of the sewing/mixed-media techniques and essentials of surface design and on the accompanying DVD, which also includes an exclusive bonus project.
Whether you're already a rule-breaker or you're looking to improvise, Sew Wild shows you how to create fabric and designs that explode with color, pattern, and soul.
- Once I'd got my knickers unbunched, excellent!
I watched the DVD first, see, and Ms. Burke committed my pet peeve right off the bat: referring to her audience (me included) as "you guys". I hate when people do that. Once I'd for over that, however, I found myself referring back to the book again and again.
I love her use of recycled and home-made fabrics. As a burgeoning surface designer, I have a lot of bits of things that didn't quite work as planned, or sampled nicely but are too small for anything. Now I have ways to use them.
Her "messy stitching" encouraged me to try without fear the free motion settings on my machine. (Posted on 7/31/2013)
- Nice book but not mixed media
- If you're keen to learn a variety of simple ways of doing surface design on fabric by applying paint, ink, dye, or decolourant, this is the book for you. On the other hand, if you're a regular reader of Quilting Arts you have already read about many of these techniques (and then some). The design component did not use multiple media. Sadly for me, it was the promise of mixed media with stitch that motivated me to buy this book. (Posted on 1/31/2012)
- One of my favorite new books!
- Once I received this book, I could not put it down. In this book, the author shares more than 20 mixed-media and stitching techniques to transform fabric into playful pieces. She begins the book with chapters on materials and tools and color, pattern and inspiration. The following chapter on surface design includes 13 techniques. Some of these include doodling and drawing, graffiti-style letters, building layers of color with paints, wet-on-wet painting, easy screenprinting, and fusing plastic. Her stitching techniques chapter includes eight ways of stitching including free-motion, stitching over patterned and painted surfaces, establishing line, contrast, and color, freehand and expressive drawing, journaling and writing, sewing with alternative patterns, graffiti quilting, and building stitched layers. All of the techniques are clearly explained with detailed instructions and helpful color photos. With each technique, she also shows other examples in her Go Wild section. The projects chapter puts all of what she teaches in the earlier chapters into instructions for finished items. Wonder Woman Cuff Bracelet, Obi-Style Wrap Belt and Cozy Jersey Scarf are just three of the projects. The projects are clearly explained. She even has sketches on adding that dreaded zipper to her Graffiti Zipper Bag. After fighting with my zipper, it was nice to see her illustrations and instructions. In addition to all of this, there is a DVD where we can watch her show us a few of the techniques and a bonus project. I really loved that part and tried a couple of her techniques. When a book can get me to drop everything and try a technique or make something (Posted on 8/23/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.