Sew Liberated 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
Sew Liberated is the first how-to book of its kind to resurrect the art of appliqué for today's generation of sewists looking to imbue their work with creative style.
Get liberated! Meg McElwee, author of the popular Sew Liberated blog and boutique sewing pattern line, teaches you how to transform sewing by adding personal touches with appliqué details combined with embroidery, beadwork, buttons, ribbons, and more.
Sew Liberated is the first how-to book of its kind to resurrect the art of applique for today's generation of sewists looking to imbue their work with creative style.You will learn hand- and machine applique techniques for use outside the traditional quilting context, plus how to create fabric collages.
Applique, a technique in which pieces of fabric are sewn onto clothing, bags, quilts, and other creations, allows you to take embroidery to a new level; it' an ideal format for those with some sewing experience to break away from the constraints of sewing patterns and create uniquely personal designs.
Explore the history of applique and how it was rediscovered in the fiber arts, learn appliqueand embroidery techniques, and create 20 modern, stylish sewing projects ranging from aprons, skirts, pillows, bags, totes, a duvet cover, a wall clock, blouse, baby quilt, scarf, and much more. Projects range from simple to advanced in difficulty.
Step-by-step instructions, color photographs, and comprehensive how-to embroidery instructions make Sew Liberated and all-in-one resource and guide. Sew Liberated provides you with all levels of new techniques, creative challenges, and a full range of projects ranging in difficulty and time commitment.
|Number Of Pages||160|
- modern with a traditional twist
- The author says that for her "Sew Liberated is a way of looking at craft that is, at once, traditional and completely modern". Certainly that is a perfect way to describe the projects that you''ll find in this book. The 20 projects in this book are divided into three sections; domestic art, pampered artist and small stitches and all are relatively straightforward and easy to create. The author clearly has a fondness for applique and most of the projects include either turned, raw edge or reverse techniques. For those not familiar with these techniques have no fear because the authors step by step directions are clearly written and illustrated making them easy to follow for even a novice sewer. Projects in this book include household items such as patchwork placemats, aprons, a quilt and a pillow cover along with personal accessories that include bags, a blouse and a jersey garden skirt that features reverse applique. Things to sew for children include a baby''s first book, an petit artiste smock and a tote bag and chefs hat and apron. You''ll also find a clever clock project in this book. A working wall clock worthy of being the centerpiece in any room of the house. Along with the step by step directions for each project that are accompanied by full color photographs and clear and easy to understand diagrams you''ll also find full sized pull out pattern sheets. (Posted on 12/31/2009)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.