The Altered Book DVD
Join mixed media instructor Seth Apter and student Cherie Haas in a 95 minute book making instructional video where you learn to create interesting books and interactive pages in a variety of ways.
Do you want to make your own handmade book or art journal, but are intimidated by the idea of stitching a binding? In The Altered Book, Seth Apter teaches you, and student Cherie Haas, how to create a cut and glued paper binding bar as the basis for your book. Repurpose old book covers and get Seth’s tips for making it your own by adding decorative embellishments and words. Seth will also guide you through the creation of the pages of the book, including how to create interactive pages that have doors, windows, flaps and more, to reveal the next page. While you can use the book for anything or theme you want, Seth also shares his ideas for paper quilting, collage and mark-making as a starting point for your own altered book.
In this video you will:
- Get tips for creating interactive pages.
- Repurpose old books destined for the recycling bin.
- Watch 95 minutes of in-depth workshop instruction.
Watch a preview of this video here now!
About the Artist
Seth Apter is a mixed media artist, instructor, author and designer from New York City. He is the voice behind The Pulse, a series of international, collaborative projects that are the basis of his two books The Pulse of Mixed Media and The Mixed-Media Artist, both published by North Light Books. He is an instructor at Pratt Institute in NYC and has taught throughout the United States, Mexico, Australia and the UK. Seth has a mixed media line with Spellbinders Paper Arts, a stencil line with StencilGirl Products and a stamp line with Impression Obsession. He is a member of CHA and a columnist for Cloth Paper Scissors magazine. Visit Seth at his website, SethApter.com.
- 2 book covers of equal size, separated from book block and spine
- Assorted pens: gel pens, markers, paint pens, etc.
- Golden Matte Medium
- Imagine Crafts StazOn Midi ink pads
- Krylon Gold leafing pen
- Lineco PVA glue
- Liquid Fusion clear urethane adhesive
- Permanent glue stick
Other Tools and Supplies
- Alphabet rubber stamps
- Assorted rub-ons
- Assorted Rubber Stamps including Seth’s from Impression Obsession and Spellbinders
- Bone folder
- Collage paper: scrapbook, magazine, decorative, handpainted
- Craft mat
- Lightweight embellishments for cover art
- Scissors or craft knife
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.