Serger Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Sergers and sewing machines are wonderful sewing room companions, but sergers can befuddle even the most experienced sewing machine operator. Once you can identify key serger components and how they each affect stitch formation, you'll be able to manipulate settings like a pro. When is a 3-thread overlock preferable to a 4-thread stitch? Learn how to change stitch widths and what makes a stitch wide or narrow. What is differential feed and why is it such a fantastic serger feature?
Gail will give you a guided tour of your serger from top to bottom. She'll highlight and explain the important serger parts, how to fine-tune their adjustments and troubleshoot problems. Even when all of the machine settings are correct, results might not be perfect—why? Sometimes it's "operator technique." You'll see some common handling errors that cause failure and how to easily fix them.
Rolled hems that fall off the edges of sheer fabrics and stretched edges on knits can be discouraging. Gail will show you how to get beautiful results with just a few modifications. You'll tackle your serger projects with increased confidence and knowledge.
What You'll Learn:
- Serger components—where they are and what they do
- Overlock stitches and best choices for various construction techniques
- What is differential feed and how to manipulate it
- Common operator technique errors and how to correct them
- Stitch length and width—get the right settings
- Tension settings
- Cover stitch—major differences between cover stitch and overlock functions
About the Instructor:
Gail has been an enthusiastic sewist since middle school and is an active member of the American Sewing Guild CT Chapter. Teaching classes and interacting with all levels of sewing enthusiasts continues to be a source of inspiration and fun. Her fascination with sergers is an ongoing source of ideas for embellishments. She has taught classes and workshops across the country including American Sewing Guild National Conferences, the Puyallup Sewing & Stitchery Expo, Original Sewing & Quilt Expos, American Sewing Expo—Novi, MI and numerous American Sewing Guild Chapter events. Her Craftsy class, 40 Techniques Every Sewer Should Know is one of their bestsellers. Gail is a contributor to Threads, Sew News and Notions. F+W Media will publish her book, Serger Essentials Master the Basics & Beyond! in December 2015.
Who Should Download:
- New serger owners who need to identify serger components and how they work
- Experienced owners who want to refresh their knowledge and skills
- Sewists who want to expand and finesse their serger skills for professional results
- Owners who want to learn the "how" and "why" of manipulating serger settings
- Serger owners who need to understand why operator handling technique is equally important as correct machine settings
|Product Type||Video Download|
|Author/Designer||Gail Patrice Yellen|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.