Sashiko Bead Embroidery Dragonfly Online Workshop with Nancy Eha
Learn how to make a beautiful Japanese scroll with beaded dragonfly and sashiko in this Online Workshop with Nancy Eha!
This product will be accessible from My Online Workshops located in My Account after purchase.
Instructor Nancy Eha is here to show you how to create the traditional sashiko - but with beads! In this Online Workshop, you’ll learn six beading stitches, including long stitch, satin stitch, stop stitch, raised satin stitch, back stitch, and sashiko. Explore how to make a fabric scroll, a cloth armature dragonfly body to bead over, and machine free-motion dragonfly wings. Discover why color and value (light to dark) are important in both fabric and bead selection. As an added bonus, you will receive 6 downloadable PDFs to practice your new skills! This Online Workshop content is available to you anytime, anywhere so you can access all your lessons at your own pace!
Lesson 1: Preparing Your Scroll
- Choosing the Fabric
- Cutting and Sewing the Scroll
- Quilt Basting Top to Batting
Lesson 2: Constructing the Dragonfly
- Preparing Hoop to Switch Wings
- Printing Wing Pattern
- Tracing the Pattern
- Pattern in Position to be Traced
- Free-Motion Stitching Overview
- Sewing Machine Preparation
- Checking the Machine Thread Tension
- Stitching the Outline of the Wings
- Stitching the Veins of the Wings
- Cutting Out Finished Wings
- Removing the Stabilizer
- Making the Armature for the Dragonfly Body
- Making the Padded Armature for the Dragonfly Body
Lesson 3: Beading Stitches
- Bead Identification
- Threading the Silamide Beading Thread
- Controlling the Position of Beads on Fabric
- Beads Laying Flat on Fabric
- Removing Beads Without Rethreading the Needle
- Preparing to Bead the Dragonfly Body
- Attaching the Armature to the Fabric
- Beading the Dragonfly
- Beaded Stop Stitch
- Stop Stitch
- Beaded Stop Stitch
- Making the Stop Stitch Eyes
- Dragonfly Head
Lesson 4: Beading the Dragonfly
- Attaching Wings
- Adapting the Padded Satin Stitch for the Wings
- Covering the Armature with Beads
- Beaded Back Stitch
Lesson 5: Beaded Sashiko
- Sashiko History
- Adapted Rules for Beaded Sashiko
- Beading Sashiko Patterns
- Completing the Scroll
- Stitching and Squaring Up
- Adding the Backing and Label
- Sleeve for Hanging
- Hanging the Scroll
Online Workshop Includes
Discussion board & Gallery: The discussion board is a great way to interact with other users in the Online Workshop. It’s an open forum for you to ask questions, share your thoughts, express your inspirations, and share images of your work.
Notes: This is a place for you to keep personal notes to help you with your work and the Online Workshop content. Only you will be able to see your notes.
Optional Quizzes: Short optional quizzes to test your knowledge as you progress through the lessons.
Video Lesson Run Time ≈ 23 minutes *This Online Workshop is mainly text and image-based, with short, instructional videos to demonstrate techniques.
About the Instructor
Nancy Eha, also known as The Beading Queen to her students, has taught thousands worldwide. She enjoys sharing her knowledge, passion and pleasure for the subject of beading on fabric with others. Her articles and beading have been featured in scores of magazines and books, including several Quilting Arts issues. Nancy has written two fabric beading books which include beading basics as well as her innovative beading techniques such as crazy beading and elevated beading. She uses beads as primary focal points on fabric – not to add “mere sparkle.” Some describe her work as “obsessively beaded,” and she agrees. Nancy continues to develop innovative beading techniques as she explores “bead physics” and create magical works of art.
|Product Type||Online Workshop|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.