In Praise of Simple Cloth Video Download
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
What can you learn from someone who spins all day, every day (except during gardening season), and who produces her own handspun shirts, sweaters, blankets, rugs, table linens, bath towels, aprons, even gardening shorts? Short answer: A lot! Rita Buchanan has spent more thoughtful time preparing fiber, spinning yarn, and making fabrics from her handspun than perhaps anyone in the developed world. This is not just mindless handwork; Rita has a keen, analytical mind that she applies consistently to testing, sampling, and record keeping, and she balances this against her pure joy in the process and a deep appreciation for living with handspun cloth. In this set, she shares:
- Exploring the possibilities of a fiber
- Matching yarns for a project
- Spinning and weaving rugs for wall and floor
- Creating humble household fabrics that create everyday joy
- Knitting with handspun - and weaving with handspun knitting yarns.
You'll find pure inspiration and lots of good practical tips.
|Product Type||Video Download|
- Inspiring and informative DVD
- Rita packs inspiring ideas into this workshop and her enthusiasm is very catching. As a beginner spinner I was curious to see what I could do with my yarn - this gives lots of very lovely ideas. I have always been a knitter. Since watching this workshop inspired by Rita I have plucked up the courage to try weaving which I now find a great joy. I want to try many of the ideas that I saw in this DVD. I thoroughly enjoy watching it for a bit of inspiration. (Posted on 9/10/2013)
- Good but very different from Rita's other video
- I loved Rita's other spinning video so got this one but found it was a bit unfocused, covering lots of different topics without a clear sense of why or where it was all going. Another reviewer commented that it was heavy on 'show and tell' vs. instruction, and I agree. Maybe the title and product description should have been clearer about what to expect. It wasn't so much praising simple cloth as praising simple yarn (plain 2 ply, her favourite to spin) and all the different fabrics you can can create from it with weaving, knitting and hooking. My favourite part of the video was that she debunks a lot of the standard wisdom about what kind of fibres can spin what kinds of yarns, and what kinds of yarns can create what kinds of fabrics. She shows examples of items spun and used in unconventional ways, though ultimately all this leaves you with is the idea that you can never tell what will work until you try it, which will be distressing to people who want guaranteed results! Personally I find her way of working very attractive - she does what works for her and doesn't worry about 'rules.' And the examples of finished items she has made are truly impressive. She's a very talented, productive, and passionate artist, and for that reason alone I enjoyed the opportunity to spend more time with her via this video. Not a 'must have' but definitely enjoyable. (Posted on 4/21/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.