Pile Plus Pattern! Combining Doubleweave with Rya Knots On Demand Web Seminar
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
About the Web Seminar:
Doubleweave pick-up is a weaving structure that requires only four harnesses and six treadles but allows the weaver to design unique and complex patterns. This web seminar will explore the type of doubleweave known as Finnweave, a weaving technique in which two layers of warp threads are interchanged to form surface patterns. While Finnweave results in a textile that is not reversible, the technique produces smooth diagonal lines, preferable for designs that include diagonals or curves. The doubleweave structure combines easily with rya, where the rya knots can be hidden between the interchanging layers of cloth.
Finnweave requires that the weaver master a unique drafting system, which will be explained in detail during the seminar. Because the pattern is picked up row-by-row, a simple method for counting and recording each row will be introduced. A sample pattern and draft will be provided and a step-by-step procedure will be reviewed.
Laura has spent over a decade exploring design possibilities using rya knots in combination with various weaving structures, from twill to doubleweave overshot, but the combination that offers the most exciting design possibilities is that of combining rya with doubleweave pick-up. The textiles that results from this combination of techniques are unique, beautiful and wonderfully warm!
What You'll Learn:
To select yarn suitable for doubleweave pick-up
To dress your loom easily, using either a 6 or 10 harness tie-up
To identify the equipment required for both doubleweave pick-up and rya knots
To read a doubleweave draft
To write row-by-row pick-up directions for each doubleweave pattern row
To create your own doubleweave designs
To select yarns suitable for rya knots
To cut and tie rya knots
To create simple patterns using rya knots
About the Instructor:
A weaver for over thirty years, Laura enjoys all aspects of fiber production, from raising the sheep to taking a finished piece off the loom. Living on a small acreage just seven miles from the Norwegian-American museum, Vesterheim, in Decorah Iowa, Laura has benefitted from the educational opportunities made available in classes offered at the museum as well as its wonderful textile collection. Laura has focused on traditional weaving structures and techniques, and is a Gold Medal Winner at Vesterhiem’s National Exhibit of Folk Art in the Norwegian Tradition.
Who Should Attend:
Weavers who enjoy creating their own design patterns
Weavers who wish to explore weaving structures suitable for a four-harness loom
Weavers who appreciate a weaving challenge
Weavers who wish to create unique, warm and enduring blankets, throws and lap-robes
Weavers who enjoy learning traditional techniques, and giving them a new spin
Weavers who simply enjoy handling yarns and experimenting with combining fibers
Weavers who wish to find a use for the boxes of thrums and small odd-balls of yarn in their stash
|Product Type||Video Download|
- Excellent clear directions. Handouts were extremely helpful. Well done. (Posted on 3/29/2014)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.