PieceWork, September/October 2015 Print Edition
PieceWork September/October 2015
The September/October issue of PieceWork Magazine is literary-inspired! We start off with Kathy Augustine's "Stitching with Paint: Inside
the World of Jan Brett." Jan Brett writes and illustrates delightful
books for children of all ages; each is permeated with folklore and
folk costume and each is mesmerizing.
Mimi Seyferth uncovered fascinating information about beloved
American author Nathaniel Hawthorne: "When most people think of
[Nathaniel Hawthorne] and needlework, their minds turn to his novel
The Scarlet Letter (1850) and the intricately embroidered scarlet letter
A worn by the skilled seamstress Hester Prynne as a symbol of her
adultery. But it is a little known fact that, while convalescing from a foot
injury suffered when he was nine years old, Hawthorne knitted a pair
of stockings for the cat who then reigned in his family's household."
How delicious is that?? And there's more-references to knitting are a
constant thread in many of Hawthorne's works.
You'll also find Arthur Conan Doyle's socks, Margaret Oliphant's Hester:
A Story of Contemporary Life written in 1883, the role of bobbin lace in
Italian Carlo Goldoni's eighteenth-century plays, and "The Hatfield-McCoy
Feud Reimagined." However, we haven't just looked to the past for our
"Needlework in Literature" examples. Two of our contributors drew their
inspiration from current popular fiction: Diana Gabaldon's Outlander and
George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.
Plus! The winners of the 2015 Pincushion Contest are revealed!
Features and Projects included in this issue:
- Stitching with Paint: Inside the World of Jan Brett by Kathy Augustine
- For a Special Baby: Treva's Boots to Knit, Felt, and Embroider by Kathy Augustine
- Little Red's Infinity Hood to Crochet by Brenda K. B. Anderson
- A Hat Inspiried by Sansa to Knit by Katrina King
- Nathaniel Hawthorne and Knitting by Mimi Seyferth
- House of the Seven Gables Socks to Knit by Mimi Seyferth
- Beaufoy Socks for Independent Women to Knit by Carol Huebscher Rhoades
- Socks, Seacute;ances, and Sherlock Holmes by Donna Druchunas
- Journey Thorough Time: Socks Inspired by Outlander to Knit by Heatherly Walker
- Medallion Russian Shawl to Knit by Inna Voltchkova
- Needlework on Stage: Venetian Lace in Carlo Goldoni's Plays by Isabella Campagnol
- The Hatfield-McCoy Feud Reimagined by Mary Polityka Bush
Order your copy of PieceWork September/October 2015 today!
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.