Paint, Play, Explore eBook: Expressive Mark-Making Techniques in Mixed Media
Whether you’re just starting your creative adventure or you’re looking to break through to the next level, mixed-media artist Rae Missigman will set you in motion. Explore 4 start-to-finish projects for turning marks into inventive art.
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Discover the marks for your most authentic art.
Mixed-media artist Rae Missigman identifies herself as a “mark-maker.” Ever in the forefront of her art, organic shapes and graphic marks are what give her work a sense of authenticity. With an adventurous, anything-goes attitude to expressing herself, she is just as likely to use a celery stem, a sewing machine or a cardboard tube as she is a brush, a palette knife or her own hands.
In Paint, Play, Explore, Missigman helps you discover those marks that define you as an artist, and weave them into your art in new and interesting ways. Through page after page of creative exploration, you’ll become a collector of tools—traditional and unconventional mark-makers that will become an extension of your unique voice.
You’ll become a tinkerer as you recycle and repurpose, striving to turn something ordinary into something extraordinary. You’ll become an explorer as you draw with your non-dominant hand, create “blindly” using resists, stamp with your own handcrafted organic ink, and follow other creative prompts to widen and shape your artistic world.
Whether you’re just starting your creative adventure or you’re looking to break through to the next level, Paint, Play, Explore will set you in motion. Setting the tone with her upbeat vibe and joyful use of color, Missigman pushes you to find your own beautiful artistic “fingerprint” to create work that is interesting, full of life and distinctly yours; and above all, to embrace the journey.
You’re going to need a bigger creative toolbox …
- 60+ mark-making tools and mediums
- 23 stepped-out demonstrations on collage, one-brush painting, monoprinting, resists, transfers and other fun and versatile mark-making techniques
- 4 start-to-finish projects for turning marks into inventive art
“The shapes you choose to etch in your work, free flowing and heartfelt, are a part of what makes the art your own. Tools in hand, your marks will find you and you will begin to recognize yourself in your creations.”
About the Author
Rae Missigman, mixed-media artist, author and instructor loves to share her design passions in the classroom, on the printed page and on her website. No ordinary object is safe in her hands but destined to become something extraordinarily beautiful and wildly imaginative.
Rae’s mantra is no piece is complete without layers of her signature marks, dots and dashes. Her large following of art lovers clamor for her books, products and instructional videos to bring repetitive marks into their own art journals.
Rae’s color palette is bold and vivid despite her professed love for the color white. She finds white soothing in her personal life and the perfect backdrop for the splashes of color dominating her pieces.
Rae works from her often photographed home studio in central Florida where she lives with her supportive husband and five children and now passes her love of color and design on to her grandchildren. You can visit her website at raemissigman.com.
|Number Of Pages||160|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.