There seems to be a growing interest in lace lately. Knit, crochet, bobbin lace, doilies—on-line crafting communities have been fanning a subtle buzz.
Tatting is a means of creating lace by looping threads together using tiny shuttles and one’s fingers (with occasional help from a crochet hook.) It creates dainty chains and edgings as well as single motifs, and is used to edge and decorate textiles and clothing, as jewelry, or as large-scale lace projects in itself. Once relegated to the attic and vintage handkerchiefs, tatting is getting new respect in the crafting world as people discover its traditional beauty while giving it a more modern inflection.
The design and projects in The New Tatting are a far cry from the dated, black and white publications that are currently available, and the instructions and diagrams are clear and detailed for even a novice tatter. The 20 projects look fresh, not grandmotherly, and the modern use of color will appeal to people who have never tatted before as well as tatters looking for something new and interesting.
|File/Trim Size||8.25" x 10"|
- Excellent resource
I first borrowed this book from my local library and loved it. I am so glad Interweaver is offering it in ebook format for download so I can carry the patterns with me on my iPad.
It is well written with excellent instruction, illustrations, photographs and tatting charts.
It will certainly help beginners to gain confidence and lead into intermediate skill with clear instruction for stitches such as Josephine Knot and the Split Chain.
There are several very pleasing patterns that I will certainly enjoy completing. (Posted on 6/12/2016)
- Excellent Instructions
- My great aunts taught me to tat when I was a young girl, and all I remember about it was that it was very difficult. The moment I opened this book and started glancing through it, all the tatting motions came back to me. But this time I realized that tatting isn't something to be afraid of. It is a soothing and beautiful art. The book makes the details come alive, and presents the tatting in such a way that the reader is eager to try it. The instructions are surprisingly simple, clear, direct and easy to follow. The patterns are gorgeous, and range from simple to difficult. The author guides the tatter through the learning process with beautiful projects and perfect examples. Thank you!!! (Posted on 9/10/2015)
- beautifully illustrated instructions
- This book provides all the information about getting started with tatting. I appreciate the detailed descriptions and illustrations the author provides about materials for this craft, even threading the shuttle is very clearly illustrated! Very beginner-friendly indeed. It provides clear and beautifully illustrated step-by-step instructions and has a good variety of patterns with contemporary designs. Can't wait to get started learning this craft! (Posted on 6/16/2015)
- Beautiful projects and clear instructions
The book is simply gorgeous and all of the projects have a really fun and modern flair. With knowledge passed down from her mother (famous Japanese tatter Teiko Fujito,) Morimoto has taken the traditional craft in new and exciting directions.
It should be mentioned that tatting is difficult! However I found Morimoto's directions to be clear and easy to follow. There are also plenty of photos and illustrations that do a great job explaining things that words cant: like how hold the shuttle and thread.
In addition to fantastic instructions and a really great selection of projects the book gives the reader plenty of opportunities to customize their work through suggested design modifications. There are traditional doilies with a modern twist of a multicolored thread, but there are also more unique uses for the tatting like jewelry, makeup bags, and scarves.
This book is extremely detailed and the projects are gorgeous. I desperately want a brightly colored doily to display on my wall or a table runner, but I know I'm going to need to get more confident and practice with some smaller projects before I get too ambitious. I can see how tatting could be extremely relaxing once you get confident enough that you don't need to look at instructions constantly.
Tatting definitely requires practice and a lot of patience, but "New Tatting: Modern Lace Motifs and Projects" is a really great resource if you want to take the time to learn. (Posted on 5/30/2014)
- clear explanations & innovative
- This book is laid out very cleanly; the explanations are clear, and put into words things I knew but could not explain myself. I haven't decided what project to make first, but I am very impressed with the concept of a tatted shawl! (Posted on 5/10/2014)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.