Natural Dyeing Online Workshop
Learn how to dye naturally with Dagmar Klos!
Who understands color better than Mother Nature? From quiet to riotous, nature’s color schemes are always harmonious, and natural dyes can be used to create beautiful, vibrant colorways. In this online workshop, master dyer Dagmar Klos introduces you to the secrets of dyeing your fibers, yarns, and textiles with nature’s perfect palette.
In her clear and friendly style, Dagmar offers indispensable information on equipment and supplies, types of dye, safety procedures, and record keeping. You’ll see how easy it is to use natural dyes, learn useful tips and hints, and gain a foundation from which to set out on your own natural dyeing adventures.
In This Online Workshop You'll Learn:
- The basic dyestuffs that yield the natural color wheel
- How to set up your natural dyeing studio
- Important safety practices for natural dyeing
- How to prepare your fiber for dyeing
- How to create natural dye extracts and dye your fiber
- Workshop Outline
- Introduction to Using Natural Dyes
- Understanding the Dyeing Process
- Dyeing Equipment
- Basic Principles
- Fiber Preparation
- Making Dyes and Dyeing
Watch a Preview Now:
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate. This workshop is intended to open the door to the world of natural dyeing.
Materials Needs: Heat source, Stainless steel pots, Glass or plastic beakers, Sieve and/or paint strainer, Dowels or wooden spoons, Protective apron, Rubber gloves, Dust mask, Safety glasses, Assorted dyestuff: raw materials or commerically prepared dye extracts, alum sulfate, and wool yarn or fiber.
This Online Workshop Includes:
- Discussion board: The discussion board is a great way to interact with other users in the Online Workshop. It's an open forum for you to ask questions, share your thoughts, and express your inspirations.
- Gallery: Share images of your work where you can give and receive feedback from fellow students.
- Notes: This is a place for you to keep personal notes to help you with your work and the Online Workshop content. Only you will be able to see your notes.
- Video Lessons: Run Time 55 minutes
About the Instructor:
Dagmar Klos is a dye master, fiber artist, and teacher. Since 1995, she has served as copublisher and coeditor of the Turkey Red Journal, a newsletter dedicated to natural dyes. In 2002, she received the Handweavers Guild of America’s Certificate of Excellence in Dyeing. Dagmar’s colorful woven scarves appear in Handwoven Scarves (Interweave Press, 1999), and have often graced the pages of Handwoven magazine. She lives in Chicago, Illinois.
|Product Type||Online Workshop|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.