Alternative Art Surfaces eBook
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
You will love this mixed media book if:
- You are a fan of the mixed-media powerhouse duo Darlene Olivia McElroy and Sandra Duran Wilson
- You love uncovering new mixed-media techniques
- You are looking for inspiration for uses of common household items
Push your creativity off the canvas and onto an alternative surface! Alternative Art Surfaces is the go to resource for learning how to create art on any surface including mica, leather, concrete, glass, metal and so much more. Delve into a variety techniques including how to prepare surfaces for painting, how create amazing textures, how to encase, carve, adhere, transfer onto, and print onto. Not only will you know how to create with these new and alternative materials but also uncover extensive troubleshooting tips and how to steer clear from common pitfalls. With more than 100 techniques to experiment with you will know how to put the mixed media into mixed-media!
In Alternative Art Surfaces you will find:
- More than 35 demonstrations for painting on a plethora of surfaces
- 100+ techniques for creating desired texture, carvings, transfers and more with the alternative materials
- Over 50 inspiring finished pieces of art showcasing the surfaces and techniques
- Detailed images and examples for completing your own techniques and experimentations
- More than 125 tips for troubleshooting, preparing your surfaces, and finishing and mounting your art
- 144 pages of valuable instruction to take your artwork to a new level
About the Authors
Sandra Duran Wilson is influenced by scientific concepts, the dream state and the nature of materials. She loves to experiment and push the limits of paints, mediums and surfaces. She enjoys the tactile aspect of paint and what it can do, and she has always been an inventor of new ways to use existing tools and materials. She loves to paint ideas; to make them visible, beautiful and abstract so others may enter them and create their own reality. She lives and creates in Santa Fe, New Mexico, with
Mark, her husband and collaborator, and a bevy of feline friends.
Darlene Olivia McElroy comes from an old New Mexico family of storytellers and artists. She began making art the fi rst time she found a wall and a drawing instrument. Her grandfather, a painter on Catalina Island, was her mentor and taught her to play and experiment with art. Darlene attended the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, and has worked as an illustrator both in the United States and in Paris. She went from creating illustration traditionally to becoming one of the first nationally recognized digital illustrators in the late 1980s. Darlene lives and works in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where she paints, teaches, writes and enjoys a delightfully chaotic life with her husband, Dave, and their four
dogs, Bernie, Bella, Taco and Zola.
1. Metal: Aluminum, Tin, Steel & Rust
2. Metal Leaf
3. Metal Foil, Shims & Screen
5. Cast Acrylic
6. Glass, Mirrors & Faux Mirrors
8. Cement, Mortar & Unsanded Grout
9. Plaster of Paris, Venetian Plaster & Plaster Gauze
10. Clay, Paperclay & Clay Monoprints
11. Rawhide, Suede & Leather
12. Wood & Wood Veneers
14. Floral Foam, Spray Foam & Cell Foam
15. Acrylic Skins
16. Specialty Papers
18. Nylon, Vinyl & Linoleum
20. Found Objects & Odds and Ends
About Sandra Duran Wilson
About Darlene Olivia McElroy
|Number Of Pages||144|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.