Metalsmith Essentials How to Solder Jewelry DVD
Head to Your Bench and Turn on Your Torch . . .
It's time for jewelry soldering!
Join artist and instructor of 25 years Lexi Erickson in 6 comprehensive watch-and-learn lessons as she shows you step by step how to solder jewelry! Take your metalsmithing skills and jewelry designs to the next level with an all-inclusive introduction to soldering.
Master metalsmithing basics as you boost your jewelry-making skills with these essential techniques for getting started with jewelry soldering, including how-tos for setting up, tools and materials, torch handling, and much more!
Discover different types of soldering joins and learn how to use them in your own jewelry. Making expert techniques easy to understand, Lexi covers several jewelry soldering techniques, such as direct, pick, and sweat soldering, soldering off the stick, and more.
Enter a new era in your jewelry designs as you:
- Stay safe and get started the right way with a comprehensive tools and materials overview.
- Create stunning jewelry with expert tips and tricks for flawless soldering joins.
- Take your jewelry designs to the next level with soldered rings, earrings, pendants, and more!
- Discover the 5 basic rules for soldering made easy: fit, clean, flux, placement, and heat.
- Make your own bezels for beautiful cabochons with step-by-step soldering how-tos.
- And more!
Plus! Learn Lexi's expert advice for purchasing a torch, saving dried flux, making your own soldering sticks, and more!
Watch 95 minutes of exciting soldering essentials on your own time. This ultimate soldering resource allows you to start and stop when it's convenient for you. Get a front-row seat to this master metal jewelry-making class you can watch again and again!
You can do it, take it from Lexi herself: "Let me let you in on a little secret. My first semester in my university jewelry class, I wouldn't light the torch. I was terrified to light the torch. I always got the cute guy that sat next to me to light my torch for me. And one day he was absent. The teacher wouldn't do it for me, so I had to light it myself. And you know what, it's not that difficult. You can overcome your fear. And now, it seems that I have gotten so well known about soldering and working with the torches that my nickname among all my friends is Lexi the Torch."
- Where Solder Flows and Now We Know
- Loved Loved Loved this soldering workshop. I knew very little of how to solder, other than watching my husband solder ma stuff. Now I understand, I can hardly wait to start. Watching the solder flow up the joins of the rings was really cool. I encourage all newbies to make the purchase, especially if you can score them on sale like I did, best $5 I have ever spent (I bought the entire Metal Smith Essentials series). Totally lucked out and couldnt be happier! (Posted on 5/6/2015)
- Everything on the DVD was easy to understand and easy to follow instruction. (Posted on 1/5/2015)
- a great starting point for beginners
- This is a great instructional DVD. I now know why I have been creating silver scrap! (Posted on 2/11/2014)
- Very usefull
I'm completely self-taught into metalsmith and I learnt so much with this video. Lexi is a great teacher who explain very well how to do solder.
Attention pour les français : elle parle beaucoup et cette vidéo nécessite une bonne compréhension de l'anglais pour tirer le meilleur parti des images. (Posted on 12/23/2013)
- Best Soldering Resource !
- I am beginning to think ANY resource that has Lexi Erickson's name on it is of excellent quality! I have watched her two soldering CDs more than times than I like to admit and each time I see or hear a helpful tip that I missed. My soldering skills have greatly improved and to this I credit Lexi's advise which is to solder everyday! (Posted on 11/22/2013)
- Soldering everything in sight within a few hours
- I read and kept Lexi's series published in Lapidary Journal (?) and learned so much from them that having the ability to watch and learn was a no brainer for me. If you are afraid, intimidated by the idea of soldering I promise you will not be after the DVD series. I learned he worst I could do was melt my silver bezel wire into a puddle.. And I did it once. I can only tell you that the first stack ring I made.. Using 8g sterling silver half round wire...after tumbling no one could find the seam except for me and I had to REALLY look. Lexi is also extremely gracious and has answered any and all questions. Thank you Lexi for a great series of articles and the DVD series..without it I think my torch would still be on the table! (Posted on 9/24/2013)
- The best, best teacher!!!
- Just a few words....Love her technique, love how she teach! She is really awesome! (Posted on 9/17/2013)
- NOT for beginners
- Lexi was more impressed with her image an on her skills rather than teaching a beginner on how to do it and talked so fast when she was telling you what to get that you did not have time to write it down and went over the tools as if you knew what they were and already had the skills. NOT worth the money to buy unless you are a skilled Jeweler (Posted on 5/26/2013)
- Metalsmith Essentials: How to Solder Jewelry
- Wow ... I just thought I knew how to solder...Anyone who wants to work with metals and solder this dvd and vol.2 dvd is a MUST. I have learned so many tricks of the trade... there is so much information and Lexi is a gifted teacher who makes learning fun and exciting ... I can not wait to get to my workshop and let my torch know that I am the boss and I am not afraid to use it any more. I look at my metalsmithing with a new attitude of "I can do this and I can have fun doing it" Thanks Lexi for sharing your knowledge..This is some exciting information...A 12 star!!! (Posted on 3/8/2012)
- Soldering mysteries explained
- I was blown away by Lexi Erickson's soldering DVDs Vol. 1 and 2. I learned so much. I thought I had soldering down until I viewed Lexi's DVDs (at least 3 times now). She made soldering so much easier for me and cleared up its mysteries. Lexi is an awesome teacher. I have learned so much from her through these DVDs which are a must have. I will review these techniques many times as I work my way through difficult soldering projects. (Posted on 2/8/2012)
- Highly recommended
- I am in the beginning of jewelry classes and this DVD has been invaluable. On this DVD you can find the basis for a great soldering technique, but also tips and references to find the tools and materials needed, which would save you some time and money. After watching this DVD I have adjusted my tools and way to solder and I can see the difference. (Posted on 11/28/2011)
- Best ever
- I think this has got to be the best instructional video I have ever purchased. I learned so much. Helen, please come out with another soldering video with more difficult soldering techniques. I need help on set up for more difficult and complicated joins. You are a wonderful teacher. Thanks So Much! Kelli (Posted on 10/7/2011)
- Excellent Instruction
- Lexi is a terrific instructor and to have her expertise on DVD is great! This is something I can refer back to as a reference and I love all the tips she shares. Very pleased with this purchase and I would recommend this for any jeweler's library. (Posted on 5/2/2011)
- Wanna learn to solder?
- This is the best instructional video on how to solder that I have come across to date. The instructions and explanations are concise, the instructor is pleasant (and fun) to listen to, and the video production is outstanding. I also appreciated her commentary and recommendations on what tools to use and are available, and how to save money using tools not (necessarily) specific to jewelry making. I own several books that explain how to solder but I must say, watching a video is so much more satisfying and I recommend it to anyone who is serious about learning. I love her technique! (Posted on 4/29/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed. To access and save your download please follow these instructions:
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Downloadable Products” *If you have purchased an online course, click "My Courses"
- Underneath the Product title will be the download link, click the link to view the PDF or Video
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click “Save”
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org
Digital Courses and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Courses”
- Click the button to the right of the Product Title labeled "Go To Course”
- This will open the course and video platform and place you in the dashboard.
- Under My Courses or My Videos you should see your recent purchase.
- Click the Start Course or Start Video button to the right to access your product.