Making Printed Patterns Your Own: Techniques for Adapting Weaving Projects to Suit Your Needs Web Seminar Download
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Making Printed Patterns Your Own: Techniques for Adapting Weaving Projects to Suit Your Needs
with Janet Dawson
On Demand Web Seminar
Most weavers start out by following printed instructions in books or magazines but before long we're anxious to plan our own projects and produce exactly the cloth we want for exactly the purpose we have in mind. Planning a project from scratch can be intimidating, though, especially when you haven't yet built up a wealth of experience to draw from. There's no better way to reduce the fear factor and gather that valuable experience than to take existing projects and adapt them in various ways: changing the sett, changing the dimensions, changing the yarns used, etc. This can be as simple as lengthening a place mat to weave a runner, or as complicated as turning instructions for lace curtains into yardage for a wedding dress. The sky is the limit, and the degree of the change is up to you.
In this webinar, Janet will discuss various considerations to keep in mind when making changes to printed projects such as deciding on sett, choosing yarns, adjusting stripes and scale, and altering the threading draft. She will point you to resources you can refer to when making these decisions, and will take you step by step through her process for making small or large adjustments to a printed project. By the end of the webinar, you'll have the skills and resources you need to feel confident when making changes to an existing project and be well on your way to weaving independence.
What You’ll Learn:
- What to consider when changing yarns for a projects
- How to decide on appropriate sett for your revised fabric
- When and how to change the scale of a design element or to add repeats
- How to scale up a designAdding borders or hems
- Where to find resources online to aid in making design decisions
Who Should Attend:
- Weavers who are ready to move beyond a dependence on printed patterns
- Weavers who are intimidated by planning their own projects
- Weavers who want to weave a particular thing but can't find instructions for it
About the Instructor:
Janet Dawson has taught floor loom weaving in Canada and the US for the past 15 years and is the instructor of the popular online Floor Loom Weaving class at Craftsy.com. She has had articles published in the Ontario Spinners & Handweavers magazine and twice in Handwoven.
Refusing to land anywhere on the color/texture, structure/pattern spectrum, Janet loves both complicated, multi-shaft structures and the beauty of simple structures like plain weave and twill. Her current focus is block weaves – both weaving them and demystifying them for others. Even more than weaving itself, Janet enjoys teaching weaving and interacting with other weavers.
|Product Type||Video Download|
|File Type||PDF, MP4|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.