Light Up Your Life: Handcrafting Mixed-Media Luminaria and Decorative String Lights On Demand Web Seminar
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
You'll love this if:
- You want to learn how to make lanterns and light covers
- You’re looking for a fun and creative community building or group activity
- You need a unique and inspiring gift-making project
In this bustling world of commercialism, making art is a refuge of joy and creative energy. Around the holidays especially, but for all special occasions, it’s wonderful to make gifts for friends and family, and these little lanterns make a glowing gift. Not only are they beautiful and unique, but they are also fast and easy to make. The variations, once you learn how to make them, are also endless.
In this web seminar, learn how to make lanterns and literally light up your life. Lisa will present three mediums you can use to create color and design on the translucent substrate, and then explore endless ways to combine, expand on, and embellish these techniques. The web seminar will also include downloadable patterns for mini luminaria covers that sit over a battery tea-light, and the barrel lantern covers that pop over LED string lights.
This project is wonderful for a community gathering or creative party. Each person gets to design his or her own panel, and then the light covers can be mixed and matched on a string light. This string of lights can then be given to a special honoree, a friend in need, used brighten up a community space, a newborn’s room, and more. There is a bounty of bright possibilities! It would be a wonderful activity to do with friends at a baby or wedding shower, or a creative party night making holiday gifts and decorations together. Whether you make these alone or in a creative community you’ll find you have a satisfied glow, and they always turn out beautifully.
What You'll Learn:
- How to make lanterns with a variety of materials
- Create miniature luminary and string light covers
- Explore the materials and mediums to use on the translucent substrate
- Learn multiple methods of creating color and design
- Discover ways to combine mediums for new effects
- Spark your imagination with ways to embellish
- Imagine ways to accomplish this project in community
- Share your creations as wonderful personal gifts
About the Instructor
Lisa Thorpe began her artistic journey as a kid sewing crazy clothes for her Barbie dolls on her hand crank, kiddy sewing machine. This trail led her to the UC Davis Design and Art departments, where her emphasis was on textiles and wearable art. Later on, she received her teaching credentials in Art and Elementary Education at San Francisco State. Over the years Lisa has explored drawing, painting, three-dimensional collage and combinations of all three.
Currently, Lisa is the resident artist at The Bishop's Ranch conference and retreat center outside of Healdsburg where she lives and works with her husband and son. She teaches art in local schools, and to small groups and individuals during their visit at The Bishop's Ranch, and teach at national creative conferences such as CREATE 2012 in Irvine, CA, and Art & Soul in Portland, OR. She loves making art in a community setting, and strives to design workshops and activities for all ages that open up blocked doors and let the bright light of creativity in. In her own work, Lisa is always exploring and experimenting, and she loves to share what she has discovered. She has also had technique articles published in Cloth Paper Scissors magazine, and most recently in Quilting Arts magazine. Check out her blog at http://lisathorpeartist.wordpress.com, and her website at http://lisathorpe.com.
|Product Type||Video Download|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.