Designing Simple Lace Scarves with Stitch Maps On Demand Web Seminar
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
About the Web Seminar
Designers prize their stitch dictionaries – and with good reason. A single stitch dictionary can contain dozens of stitch patterns, and serve as the inspiration for countless designs. A good example is Stitch-Maps.com, an online stitch dictionary that presents hundreds of stitch patterns in the form of “stitch maps,” grid-free charts of unparalleled fluidity, authenticity, and beauty. Many of the stitch maps depict lace patterns that aren’t served well by traditional grid-based charts. But once you’ve found a stitch map you love, how do you go about using it?
One simple answer is to design a lace scarf. In this webinar, we’ll cover all the steps you need to follow: Picking a main stitch pattern and an optional border pattern; choosing your yarn and needles; and swatching. That’s right, swatching – but not boring swatches knit just to match another knitter’s gauge. Rather, you’ll swatch as a means of exploration, discovering the components of the perfect scarf and ensuring your yarn supply won’t run short.
As the developer behind Stitch-Maps.com, JC will show you why stitch maps are ideal for depicting lace. She’ll offer advice on all aspects of the design process, from yarn selection to successful blocking. By the end of the webinar, you’ll have the tools you need to design your own lace scarves.
What You’ll Learn
- Discover how a stitch map gives a true picture of a lace pattern
- Explore design options for your lace scarves
- Understand all the benefits of swatching
- Fine-tune the fabric of your scarf
- Estimate how much yarn you’ll need
- Plan your own scarf, or knit the class sample scarf
A self-confessed “technique freak” and “skill junkie,” JC dabbles in all kinds of knitting, but has a special fondness for textured knitting and novel construction techniques. If it involves lace, cables, or seamless construction, it’s sure to catch her eye. She shares her enthusiasm by teaching at shops and fiber festivals, and through her book Charts Made Simple. Her latest venture is Stitch-Maps.com, a website for viewing and creating grid-free charts of unparalleled fluidity, authenticity, and beauty.
Who Should Download?
- Knitters fond of lace
- Knitters intrigued by stitch maps
- Knitters frustrated by traditional lace charts
- Knitters keen to learn design tricks
- Knitters who want to make the most of limited quantities of yarn
- Knitters curious about blocking options
- Knitters eager to explore lace patterns
|Product Type||Video Download|
- Excellent information about stitch maps and scarf design
- This JC Briar recorded webinar gets off to a bad start because of technical difficulties. However, be patient and soon the video appears with much excellent information about using stitch maps as well as designing simple scarves. (Posted on 11/19/2014)
- Great tool and lots of fun for lace lovers
- This simple method of charting down lace, taught in the webinar, is very useful. I am now able to write down the "map" of a lace pattern that I like, and then play with it a bit: turn a bottom-up design into a top-down one, add more details, etc. I like to design small pieces for some fun street art, and stitch maps come in really handy when I want a knitted pieces that features a particular lace detail. (Posted on 7/28/2014)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.