Layered & Textured Backgrounds: Art Journaling Tips & Tricks (Video Download)
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Now Available for Download!
This four-part workshop video is dedicated to the mixed-media artist and art journaler, from beginner to advanced, who is looking to enrich their journaling style with fun new layering techniques. Join mixed-media artist Paula Phillips and learn how to create wonderfully textured backgrounds and multi-layered embellishing with easy-to-learn techniques. In the first chapter Paula introduces versatile supplies that you will reach for each time you sit down to create; these supplies can be used together in a multitude of ways to achieve beautiful results. In the next chapter, with a focus on depth, Paula demonstrates how to create multiple backgrounds with few supplies; these backgrounds can stand alone or be a wonderful base for layering and collage. Then Paula focuses on techniques that will enhance your backgrounds for more visual interest as well as continue to build your story. You'll learn strategies for finishing textures that will help you get over the "OK, now what?" syndrome. Paula shares completed journal pages and collages, from simple to complex, that combine all of the techniques learned and more. Join Paula on a wonderful art journaling journey, and learn how to mix, match, and build layers that you will be happy to call your own.
|Product Type||Video Download|
absolutely worth seeing.
Paula gives great ideas to create backgrounds for art jounaling. Makes me thinking about backgrounds on canvas, creating postcards and so much more. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Paula. (Posted on 5/29/2016)
- Fun to work along
- Another reviewer wrote that she worked on her journaling while she watched Paula's video so I tried the same thing. It was a wonderful way to experience the techniques Paula spoke about. I am also grateful that she gave the actual brand names of the products she likes. I discovered that the Golden gesso is much nicer than the brand I had been using. This is an excellent video well worth the cost. (Posted on 5/8/2014)
- Loved It
- This is a great video. Lots of wonderful ideas. Paula has a great personality that makes you want to get out all your supplies and "play" along with her. Hope she comes out with more videos soon. (Posted on 9/5/2012)
- Packed with great ideas and techniques!
- Paula is amazing. She has all sorts of ideas to share, and presents them in a very easy to follow method. She is incredibly personable and makes it clear that there is no secret magic happening in her studio, but simply exploration and a willingness to "work through the uglies". I've paid a lot more for a lot less and still been content. This video is fabulous. I just can't praise it enough. (Posted on 3/2/2012)
- Layered and Textured Backgrounds
- I have only been art journaling for a little while, so I am eager to learn new techniques. I was a bit unsure about buying this download but I'm so glad I did! Everything is so clear and Paula Phillips is such a lovely person. She has inspired me so much. I only bought this friday evening and I have spent most of today (sunday) playing in my craft room, trying out her techniques and having great fun! Thank you Paula. (Posted on 11/20/2011)
- Enjoyed it immensely!
- Unlike some books, this one contains so many techniques,I could not absorb them the first time. I actually had the chance to "art along", the same as on Paula's other videos. Her descriptions are easy to understand and the results are consistant, the images are clear and beautiful. Kudos to you Journal Artista! (Posted on 9/13/2011)
- AWESOME Teacher!
- Paula is an AWESOME Teacher, so thorough and talked to us like we were right there with her. Lots of GREAT journaling backgrounds to play with. GREAT JOB!!! THANK YOU! (Posted on 8/11/2011)
- I have taken MANY online classes, and found this to be one of the best. I am a fairly advanced student, and yet there were a number of techniques I had never seen before. It was very easy to follow along step-by-step and create my pages as I watched. Very clear explanation. Please make more!!! (Posted on 8/10/2011)
- Very Inspiring
- After purchasing the downloadable version of this DVD, I was first and foremost impressed by the clarity and professional camera work. The close-ups were clear and showed all the texture and techniques with amazing detail. Paula's voice was both pleasing to listen to and she gave clear and concise instruction of each step. She also told each product and company name so one is not left wondering what product to use to achieve the technique. The variety of product used was also a big plus. I would definitely recommend purchasing DVD's from Interweave, and will purchase others in the future. Thank-you for the high quality of both the video, and the artist! (Posted on 7/25/2011)
- This is an Awesome Course
- I've just started dabbling with all these cool products (mediums & acrylic paints) and I LOVE all of it. (Posted on 7/12/2011)
- Paula is great!
- This is a great video. I downloaded it and have watched several times. It's great to see what other artists are doing with great supplies. Going to watch again. Love her style and techniques. (Posted on 7/11/2011)
- Demystifying Artists' Supplies and Magical Backgrounds
- I thoroughly enjoyed watching Paula create backgrounds! Her explanations and demonstrations were informative yet provided examples of use, so the viewer could build on or experiment with the technics demonstrated. The layers appeared as if by magic, adding wonderful depth and texture to each background. Paula's lighthearted style made this download easy to listen to and was very inspiring. I would love to see more from the Journal Artista. I am now wondering how she would finish the pages using these backgrounds. (Posted on 7/10/2011)
- Thank you so much for making this workshop. I find your workshop to be so comforting. You are so easy going and relaxing to watch and learn from. It reminds me of just hanging out with a friend and making art. Your pieces are so soft and I can see how much of your heart goes into your pages. I think the most important thing I want to get across in this review is how comfortable I am learning from you. I am very easily intimated and that is the last thing that I felt from your instruction. Thank you again for taking time out to make this workshop for people like me, God bless! ;) (Posted on 7/8/2011)
- Great workshop
- This really inspired me. I love how well Paula explains each step. (Posted on 7/4/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed. To access and save your download please follow these instructions:
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Downloadable Products” *If you have purchased an online course, click "My Courses"
- Underneath the Product title will be the download link, click the link to view the PDF or Video
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click “Save”
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org
Digital Courses and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Courses”
- Click the button to the right of the Product Title labeled "Go To Course”
- This will open the course and video platform and place you in the dashboard.
- Under My Courses or My Videos you should see your recent purchase.
- Click the Start Course or Start Video button to the right to access your product.