Koolhaas Hat Knitting Pattern Download
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
"I have always been drawn to the architectural aspects of knitting and will often look to building architecture as a source of inspiration when designing. This hat was inspired by the architecture of Rem Koolhaas, whose work I am fortunate enough to experience whenever I visit the Seattle Public Library," says Jared Flood. A round, springy yak fiber yarn emphasizes the strong geometric structure and deeply sculptural quality of the twisted stitch pattern covering the Koolhaas Hat.
Finished Size: 16" head circumference and 7 (8)" tall. To fit a woman (man). Hat shown in woman's size.
Yarn: Shokay Yarn Shambala (100% yak; 164 yd [150 m]/100 g): cranberry, 1 skein.
Yarn weight: #4 - Medium
Gauge: 26 sts and 30 rows = 4" in lattice patt from chart on larger needle.
Needles: Sizes 6 (4 mm) and 8 (5 mm): 16" circular (cir). Size 8 (5 mm): set of 4 or 5 double-pointed (dpn). Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Notions: Markers (m); cable needle (cn); tapestry needle
Originally Published: Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts, 2007
|Product Type||Pattern Download|
|Number Of Pages||3|
- This pattern had a good rhythm (Posted on 8/29/2014)
- LOVE, LOVE -- quick and easy
I bought the kit for this hat. I loved the pattern, and it was easy to knit.
However, the yarn was another story. I loved the Bijou Basin Yak/Como yarn, but I realized as I was working with it, my hands and fingers became the color of the yarn. This caused me to set the work down (for a few months). I just recently decided to finish my frogged projects, so I picked this back up. I wasn't able to tell where I was in the pattern, so I ripped it out and started over.
The pattern is easy to follow, at one point I realized I dropped a stitch and had to pick it up. This did mess the visual pattern up in one area, but you can't tell, unless you know what you are looking for.
This was a fun easy project that took maybe 5 hours to knit.
I have received so many compliments on the hat.
The decreases worked perfectly for shaping the crown. Basically remember to decrease every other purl stitch. (Posted on 12/26/2013)
- Koolhaas hat
- I've made three of these and love them all. The pattern is just interesting enough to keep your attention while knitting up remarkably fast. I've made this in different blends and found my favorite was an alpaca/silk/merino blend in a dark tweed/fleck. Subtle color shifts throughout are all this crisp geometric pattern can take without becoming overwhelmed. It is truly a gender neutral hat. (Posted on 12/14/2011)
- Great, but
- Could you please do a matching scarf pattern!!! (Posted on 8/29/2011)
- Loved this pattern. I made one for one daughter and am now finishing my second with at least one more to go. They all say it is 'so warm' and 'cute'! I also had to tear out some until I got the hang or always knitting in the back of the stitch. (Posted on 3/3/2010)
- Absolutely wonderful.
- I fell in love with this hat the first time I saw it. The concept behind it and the pattern were stunning. Now I will admit that I started and ripped out 3 times before I got it past the first pattern repeat. After that it was smooth sailing and it turned out beautifully. My daughter has worn it this winter and tells me it is warm and brings many compliments. (Posted on 1/11/2010)
- Fun to make
- I am a beginner and this was a good pattern for me to learn some new things such as following a chart and using a cable needle. One problem I had was that after completing the first decrease row there were 65 stitches left instead of 91 that the pattern says. To fix this I skipped a few rows to where it ends at 65 stiches. The hat came out fine and my daughter received some complements on the hat. (Posted on 1/10/2010)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.