Knitwear Design Workshop A Comprehensive Guide to Handknits
Knitwear Design Workshop is for all knitters who want to go beyond commercial pattern instructions, whether it's modifying those instructions for a garment that fits them perfectly, designing their own traditional knitwear, or creating stunning works of wearable art.
Discover how to create your own dramatic and unique knitwear!
Knitwear Design Workshop is your backstage pass to the world of design. Inside you'll discover:
How to design double-tapered, single-tapered, and reverse-tapered garments with sleeves or sleeves caps that fit
Designing with armholes, necklines, neckbands, and collars and labels
A clearer understanding of commercial pattern instructions
Ways to improve your attention to detail with a meaningful test swatch
Stronger knowledge of proper body or garment measurements
How to handle design challenges in a variety of garments such as cardigans, skirts, and dresses
And much more!
Perfectly packaged in an easy-to-use hardbound, hidden spiral format, Knitwear Design Workshop is chock full of in-depth information, including measuring a gauge, working silhouette and fit, designing with stitch patterns, selecting color, and yarn characteristics. Also included in this helpful resource are four breathtaking projects—great for both design inspiration and creation! 400 pages.
Pictured: Pea Coat, Double Leaves & Twists Duster, Cabled Coat with Cape Collar, Twisted Flowers Pullover
A prolific knitwear designer, Shirley Paden's impressive work serves as a concrete example to identify the right yarn for particular garment design and pattern stitches, and to knit a perfect fit. Instructions for five new projects designed by Paden will further demonstrate how the techniques learned can translate into one-of-a-kind garments.
Knitwear Design Workshop is for all knitters who want to go beyond commercial pattern instructions, whether it's modifying those instructions for a garment that fits them perfectly, designing their own traditional knitwear, or creating stunning works of wearable art. This priceless information is a gem for your knitting library.
|Number Of Pages||344|
- Knitwear Design Workshop: The comprehensive guide to handknits
- This is one of the best books I've seen on knitwear design. I've been knitting for 30+ years and this book covers everything someone would need in order to design something knitted. It covers all the basics as well as more advanced items such as designing collars, and decreasing and increasing to make something fitted. I love how she explains all the terms used in various knitting techniques in a clear and concise way. (Posted on 5/29/2011)
- Fantastic resource!
- To say that I am very impressed with this book is putting it lightly. I consider myself a beginner designer that still has much to learn. I own a LOT of knitting reference books. NONE compares to this one book. The wealth of information in this book boggles the mind. The step-by-step design process for so many shapes. The book teaches you how to take accurate measurements with pictures of exactly where to take these measurements on the body. The amount of worksheets in this book is worth the price alone. Each worksheet helps you calculate how many stitches you need for each section of your garment. And then!! Several full-blown, BEAUTIFUL patterns are just the cherry on top. I can sit here and wax poetic about this book for weeks on end as I have been doing so non-stop to anyone who will listen since I received it. Unfortunately, you will have to purchase one yourself to see what I mean. You will NOT regret it. I can see Interweave selling out of many printings of this book for years to come. (Posted on 3/25/2010)
- Knitwear Design Workshop
- <p>Wow - what a wealth of information.</p> <p>I received my book a few days ago, (and admittedly have only read the first two chapters and eagerly scanned the whole book), but as somewhat of an advanced-intermediate-self-taught-beginner not afraid to tackle anything, I wanted to give my opinion. <p>To those who feel half-hearted in approaching the idea of designing and knitting your own creations, Shirley Paden has written an instructional book in a clear and understandable format. The illustrations and photos are precise and easy to take in - corresponding with the captions nicely. This hardback book has a spiral binding for ease of laying flat. She has provided an Outline to copy and fill in which will take you from your initial design to the finished piece with instructions, calculations and tips provided in this book. I just learned to knit a few years ago (finally) so I could design and knit my own wearable art, and I do believe I will be able to do just that!</p> (Posted on 3/1/2010)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.