Knitting Daily Workshop Knitting from the Top Down with Wendy Bernard DVD
In this workshop video, knitter extraordinaire Wendy Bernard shares her expertise for knitting top-down sweaters. Knit along with her as she demonstrates a top-down raglan pullover and a set-in sleeve cardigan pattern. With the tips and techniques you'll learn from this step-by-step approach, you'll become an expert on knitting from the top down.
--How to shape necklines, armholes, sleeves, and the bodies of knitted sweaters while knitting from the top down, a method that allows you to try on sweaters while you're knitting them.
- Patterns NOT free, DVD disappointing
- Basically, I agree with the previous reviews. I would've given the DVD a zero or less, and I'm darn well not going to pay for patterns which the DVD claims are free for download with the DVD purchase. As to the DVD content; I fully admit I'm a beginner-intermediate knitter, but found the explanations very confusing and not exactly in any kind of cohesive order; also missing basic information, such as stitch count, etc. (please see review above). I've been very pleased with the DVDs/free downloads until this wholly inadequate product arrived. I think we all should get a refund. (Posted on 5/19/2016)
I was disappointed with this workshop. It doesn't really explain how to knit a top-down sweater or cardigan. I would have expected explanations about how to determine the number of stitches at the top, the number of increases and decreases, the number of stitches to pick up for a set-in sleeve, instead of "Just follow your pattern"! What if we don't want to simply follow a pattern? That's what I was interested in learning: how to knit a top-down sweater from scratch, how to avoid the huge neck openings that characterize so many top-down patterns, etc., but there's no mention of that.
Also, too often, Wendy Bernard doesn't really demonstrate techniques, suggesting instead to search for a video online. Well, if I buy a DVD or a video, it's not to be referred to free videos online.
Camera synchronisation isn't great. Quite often, Wendy Bernard is talking to the camera instead of addressing viewers. Close-up come late or not at all, so that we don't know what she's pointing to. (Posted on 11/25/2014)
- Buy the book instead !
- This is why I am not happy with this DVD: 1- COST. I paid $20 plus, tax, plus $7.50 shipping. So I ended up paying $30, for a video I could have downloaded for $8 on sale!!! When I purchased it the download option was not available. Now, $7,50 shipping for one DVD??!!, Seriously??? This took almost 2 weeks to arrive so I can assure you it was not shipped express or anything... At the max, they probably spend $3-4 on shipping so they are making money out off the shipping charge for sure. At least $3.50. 2- CONTENTS: I really want to start knitting bottom down instead of bottom up, so I bought this DVD instead of the book thinking it would be a more visual way to learn how to adapt regular patterns to knit them that way. That was a mistake. I found myself constantly wanted to see graphics, and better explanations of what I was watching. For instance, the math process involved in calculation the number of stitches, etc. It was hard to understand what was she doing without having a print-out of the pattern she was talking about. I wish she had concentrated in giving a more detail explanation of the pattern she was working on, instead of wasting time, saying and partially explaining basic techniques that should be considered already known. In other words, she mentions a lot of things but does not explain anything in depth. Like other people on Amazon mentioned, some of the camera shots are too far away to be able to see what she is doing. I found the DVD to be slow and boring. There are a lot of awkward silent moments in it. 3-PROMISED PATTERNS: She constantly talks about how you get the patterns when you purchase the DVD, but it doesn't explain how to get them. Do we have to log in Interweave web-site to get it? Is it hidden in the DVD? I am going to try to put the DVD in the computer and see if the patterns are in there somewhere. Overall this was not a good investment. I am going to buy the book instead. I wish I could return this. I think I am going to call customer service and ask. (Posted on 1/24/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.