Knits of Yore DVD
A close look at some curious, perplexing, and estimable knitted objects from the past 200 years.
Susan Strawn has scrounged through antique stores and flea markets, tapped into her museum connections, and accepted the generosity of strangers to come up with the intriguing range of knitted objects in this video. From 15th century child's mittens to a 20th century patented design system, she offers fascinating insights and observations on what we knit and why we knit. Heavens, you'll even see radioactive knitting needles!
In addition to the old knitted items, Susan demonstrates how to interpret a 1930s drop-stitch pattern, how to make an Amana-style picot edge for socks, and how to start a starburst panel for a knitted cap. She shares, via downloadable PDFs, patterns for a pair of silk mittens and knee-high lacy stockings.
Serious, experienced knitters will be intrigued by the range of techniques, and more casual knitters will revel in the poignant stories and social insights.
- Knitted bags and pockets
- Knitting for babies and children
- Knitting for the troops
- Knitting for fashion
- And many curiosities that can't be categorized!
- Love Of History
I remember as a small girl my mother went through her grandmother's trunks and there were old newspapers from WWII along with knitting needles and some of the things she had made. I could hear Ms. Strawn's enthusiasm for the subject and would enjoy reading and learning about any other efforts she has made. (Posted on 1/6/2018)
The material was excellent. The basic instruction was excellent. But, and please remember this is a personal opinion, I felt that there were two things missing.
First, not enough patterns. It's nice to have history, but if you are talking about knitting (stitch patterns, construction information, methods, etc.), there should be patterns. There were a total of two patterns, and I feel cheated.
Second, I found the author was so matter-of-fact, pleasant but not enthusiastic, about the subject, that it took away from my enjoyment. This is AMAZING stuff, and it was presented as if it were a shopping list. (Posted on 1/2/2014)
- If you love the history of knitting...
- ...you will love this DVD! It's thoroughly enjoyable to see and learn about knits from yesterday. I love this DVD! Susan Strawn's enthusiasm for knitting jumps through the screen at me, and makes me want to sit down with her for hours of learning! Lots of information, including a couple of techniques. Highly recommended to those who are interested in the "Knits of Yore"! (Posted on 1/20/2012)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.