An Editor's Guide to Getting Published: Best Practices for Submitting Your Jewelry Designs
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
As jewelry artists, we constantly look at magazines, books, and even websites to find inspiration and try different techniques. Once you are confident enough in your chosen techniques, you may feel like you have the perfect design that you're eager to share with the jewelry-making community. A great way to do that is by submitting your work to be published! But, where do you begin? How do you figure out what publication or website is best for your work? And, how do you properly write a step-by-step tutorial that others can clearly understand to make your project?
If you submit a project worthy of publication, it can give your work and your business a big boost with the extra exposure. What's more, it can even be republished in special issue magazines, online downloads, or in eBooks. Best yet, if you write a great project, the editors may contact you again to publish more of your work!
Join Sara Richardson, a chain maille jewelry artist and current contributing editor for Step by Step Wire Jewelry magazine, for her web seminar that will teach you all of this and more so you can get your jewelry designs published! Sarah will give you an insider's perspective about the best (and worst) practices on how to properly submit your work. From sending in your first photo, to naming your piece, to catching common writing and grammatical errors, to pairing step photos with your written steps, to writing that perfect short biography; you'll cover all of this information (and more!) in this helpful web seminar!
During this web seminar you'll learn:
- How to properly write and format a step-by-step tutorial for a publication.
- The proper steps for submitting a project proposal to an editor.
- Common mistakes editors find in tutorials and how to avoid them.
- Steps for choosing the right publication to showcase your art jewelry.
- How to properly take and submit photos with your written project.
- Writing tips so you can create a great introduction and short biography to include with your tutorial.
- Tips and tricks to help get your work published over and over again.
About the Instructor:
Sara Richardson began her jewelry-making journey 10 years ago when she became an assistant (later associate) editor for Step by Step Wire Jewelry magazine. Now she has returned to the magazine as a freelance contributing editor, while also running her own chain maille jewelry business, Creative World of Sara's Lovestruck Jewelry.
Through the business, she hosts jewelry-making parties for children and adults and trunk shows in the Philadelphia suburbs. She also sells her work at craft shows and online. Sara's work has been published in over 20 magazines and websites, including Step by Step Wire Jewelry, Easy Wire, and Jewelry Making Daily. She is also a proud stay-at-home wife and mother of a young daughter. Find out more about Sara and contact her through her website, LovestruckJewelry.net.
Who Should Attend:
- Jewelry artists who are looking for extra exposure for their business by being published in a magazine or on a website
- Jewelry artists who want to learn the proper ways to submit step-by-step tutorials to a publication
- Designers who have written a step-by-step tutorial but need some extra help getting it published
- Jewelry artists who think they have a great project that should be published but don't know where to start
- Designers who want to have projects seriously considered by magazines and publishers
|Product Type||Video Download|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.