Jewelry Basics for the Hydraulic Press Online Workshop with Richard Sweetman
The hydraulic press is a fabulous way to introduce dimensionality in your metalwork. In this online workshop based on his video, follow along with instructor Richard Sweetman and find out why he loves this piece of equipment. Get ready to learn everything you need to start making your own unique pieces, from creating your own dies to forming metal with depth and detail.
Explore the hydraulic press in this online workshop with Richard Sweetman! You’ll get to learn a variety of techniques using the hydraulic press. Learn how to cut your own die from Plexiglass using a jeweler’s saw, discover an alternate way to press metal using a vise, and learn how to make rubber inserts to create depth in your pressed metal. This online workshop with Richard Sweetman is based on his popular video and is a great resource if you want to learn ways for adding texture and dimension to metal and want expert advice and ideas for learning how to form metal.
- Meet Richard Sweetman
- Richard’s Top 5 Tips
- Tools & Materials
The Hydraulic Press:
- Cutting your die and inserts
- Using the vise as a press
- Using the hydraulic press
- Creating ridges in your work
- About this press
- Possible Projects
- Hydraulic press
- Making dies
- Creating ridges
Discussion board & Gallery: The discussion board is a great way to interact with other users in the course. It’s an open forum for you to ask questions, share your thoughts, express your inspirations, and share images of your work.
Optional Quizzes: Short optional quizzes to test your knowledge as you progress through the lessons.
Run time: ~ 36 min.
About the Instructor:
An artist and teacher for more than 30 years, Richard Sweetman received his BFA from Colorado State University and his MFA from the University of Oregon. He worked as a goldsmith in San Francisco before accepting a teaching position at Arapahoe Community College in Denver, where he built a very successful metals program. He currently runs a co-op metalsmithing studio in Denver. Visit zephyr-street-studio.com for more information.
|Product Type||Online Workshop|
New subscribers, who wish to receive the current newsstand issue of a magazine, should purchase that issue individually as the subscription will start with the upcoming newsstand issue. Please note, the first issue of your subscription may take up to 4-6 weeks to arrive (international customers, please add an additional 2 weeks for shipping times).
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.