The Intentional Spinner with DVD A Holistic Approach to Making Yarn
If you are interested in exploring the infinite possibilities of making your own yarns, veteran spinner and teacher Judith MacKenzie McCuin offers insight, understanding, and invaluable information about your craft in The Intentional Spinner with DVD.
The Intentional Spinner with DVD is a compendium of spinning wisdom, with a fun blend of technical knowledge, history, tips, and gently opinionated narrative. Yarnmaking is approached in three fundamental areas:
- Understanding Fibers
- Managing Yarn Structure
- Practical Uses
|Number Of Pages||152|
- Set me on the path of spinning well
- I had the basics down and was producing some pretty good yarn. Already had a collection of basic spinning books; time to stretch myself. This book did more than just teach me what the yarn was doing and why, it took me a step further and showed me how to use the information to assess a fibre and figure out what I could do with it before even putting it to the wheel. My spinning skills advanced a huge amount almost overnight. (Within a week I made my first 4 ply yarn, which earned admiration at my wool guild meeting). One important thing for me was learning how to adjust my wheel so that it fit my personal way of doing things, I can spin for hours (with those all important breaks) without feeling the stress in my body. I learned to trust my body and my hands. The video is not one of those step-by-step narratives, and blessed be for that. By watching, one finds one's own body absorbing the moves, and internalizing the process. I am producing very good yarn from a variety of fibres as a result of Judith's excellent, low-key way of teaching. (Posted on 9/10/2013)
- inspirational book
- Not only provides clear and practical instructions for a variety of fibers and yarn designs, there's a lot of "nuts and bolts" on how and why fibers act the way they do, so even a novice spinner can "intentionally" produce an endless variety of yarns. have been spinning for a few years and some yarns worked out better than others, but it was impossible to duplicate since i didn't know why the fibers did what they did. this book was a joy to read and has revolutionized spinning for me. now i can get compatible yarns from different fibers or varied yarns from the same fiber. the best spinning book i have found. (Posted on 3/25/2012)
- Really useful book
- I've looked through almost every spinning book there is, and this one is definitely one of the best. It covers drafting and spinning techniques in great detail, describes every spinning fiber you can think of (and some you wouldn't have imagined!), and the plying and design sections are excellent. It is very well organized and illustrated, and her writing style is clear and occasionally highly entertaining. I'm beyond the beginning stage of spinning, and this book has provided me with all the information I need to take my spinning to the next level. Highly recommended. (Posted on 6/3/2011)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.