How To Create Dorset Buttons
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
How to make Dorset Buttons
web seminar with Kate Larson
Join us for this webinar!
For three hundred years, intricately patterned buttons were produced in Dorset, England. These small, soft buttons made by wrapping linen thread around a wire ring were common during Jane Austen's day. With the invention of machine-made buttons in the mid-nineteenth century, the Dorset button industry all but disappeared.
Join Kate Larson as she shares some of the history of Dorset buttons and guides you through making several button styles. Kate will show you how to make Blandford Cartwheels and introduce you to several easy variations to get your creativity flowing. Learn to use both traditional materials and modern knitting yarns to make beautiful buttons for your next project.
With this web seminar, you will:
- Learn the history of Dorset buttons and the button makes in England
- Create a Blandford Cartwheel button
- Explore several other button patterns that are still made in Dorset today
- Discover how to incorporate additional colors, textures, and beads into your buttons
- Learn how to select and adapt knitting yarns to make stunning, modern buttons
- And more.
Plus! Included in this webinar is a demonstration of how to incorporate and add dorset buttons to a finished piece. Kate will show how this is done using the knitted Gold Hill Cowl, a free knitting pattern that comes with this webinar.
Crafters who should attend this web seminar include:
- Knitters, crocheters, weavers and other crafters looking to create unique buttons.
- Anyone who has created basic Dorset buttons and is looking for new ideas.
- Fiber artists who enjoy learning about historical textiles.
- Fiber artists interested in creating historical costumes.
- Knitters, crocheters, and seamstresses who have created a beautiful garment and can never seem to find the right buttons.
- Any crafter that would love to put small bits of yarn to good use.
More about Kate Larson:
Kate Larson loves using fiber arts as a bridge between her passions for art and agriculture. Her fiber journey has led her to a degree in Environmental Soil Chemistry, travels through northern Europe in search of textile traditions, and back to the farm where her family has lived for six generations. She keeps an ever-growing flock of Border Leicester sheep and teaches handspinning and knitting regularly in central Indiana and around the country. Kate has published articles and designs in Spin-Off Magazine, Jane Austen Knits, and has contributed to several knitting books. She manages the Spinner’s Connection blog at spinningdaily.com. Find her at katelarsontextiles.com.
|Product Type||Video Download|
- Very interesting!
- Lovely webinar!
- I sit through a lot of webinars at work but this one was special! I watched the webinar live and it was so neat to be part of it. Loved that we could ask questions of Kate at the end. Really enjoyed the clear direction, the rich and engaging history and smooth delivery. Glad to see interweave is offering more online for those of us that like learning that way. I'm on Interweave to order Kate's new book and it made me remember how much I enjoyed the Dorset buttons. Can't wait for my book to arrive and can't wait to see what Kate does next! (Posted on 10/6/2015)
- Slideshow with a voice speaking in the background
For me it was a total waste of money. I expected something like a life demonstration of the technique, not a slide-show, as a book or a magazine article it would be worth 4-5 stars.
Apart from the history - which isn't in printed form on the slide shown at that time, you can read the information yourself on the picture. There is quit enough time for that.
It is all in one film/video, it would have been nicer if you could jump to the part that interests you. I bought (subscribed to) a lot of online classes/seminars and there it is possible to see the lecture/part you're interested in separately or for the 5th time in a row until you get it.
I already reviewed once, as the review isn't positive it wasn't posted, so I am once again the first to review the webinar.
If you could give those who bought the webinar the slides (think PowerPoint-presentation) as a pdf-file to download I wouldn't feel so disappointed.
No wonder there was no short advertisement video for the webinar, I wouldn't have bought it had I been able to see beforehand what a webinar is... (Posted on 8/8/2014)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.