How to Card Wool Four Spinners Four Techniques DVD
Carding wool is the first step toward consistent, easy-to-spin woolen yarns, and hand cards are the most accessible tool for achieving them. But how to produce those fluffy, lofty, spinnable rolags? There are many schools of thought. In this DVD on how to card wool, you’ll see four master spinners share their techniques and tricks, ranging from deeply traditional to somewhat eccentric. They all work. You’ll also enjoy bonus content with Andrea Mielke Schroer and Narcissa Venigas Perez, a spinner in the Oaxacan highlands. Much of this is basic lore, but there are also surprises:
- How much fiber should you load onto your cards? It depends.
- Should you start carding from the top of the card, or from the lip? It depends.
- What’s better than forming one rolag from a single carding? Forming three!
- Are those brand-new cards ready to go? Maybe not.
- Should you rest your passive card on your thigh? How about waving it in the air?
- Is changing hands a heresy?
Oh, there’s more, so much more. Whatever your own methods, if you’ve developed any, you will find food for thought and tricks to try.
|Author/Designer||Carol Rhoades, Maggie Casey, Norman Kennedy, Rita Buchanan|
- Various techniques that all work!
- This is a good overview of carding by 4 fiber artists who each have a different approach to carding that works for them, giving you several options to try and see what works for you. There is no "right" way espoused - try each and see how it fits your style! There are, of course, things the beginning carder needs to know in order to avoid poor prep, and these are pointed out, so this DVD is an excellent resource that you can go back to as often as you need to. Have fun carding! (Posted on 11/15/2015)
- Carding is EASY!
- If you have hesitated to try carding your own fibers, this video is for you! Watching four different people shows there are no hard and fast rules for carding. If you are consistent, pretty much any way of moving the fibers from one card to the other works. There are a few things to be aware off, but in all it's pretty easy. (Posted on 4/10/2015)
- Excellent and Very Useful
I found the idea of having four different people explain how to card wool very useful. This gives the person who or who is experienced in carding the opportunity to view and to try slightly different versions of carding.
It also made me truly understand the difference between worsted and woolen yarn. As much as I may have read about it in books, seeing the process and having the technique explained made so much more sense.
Highly recommend to those who have and have not yet tried their hand at carding. (Posted on 7/22/2014)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.