Garment Construction Part 3: Seams and Seam Finishes for Handwoven Garments
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Once you’ve woven your cloth, worked the pattern to get the fit right, and cut out the pieces, now is the best part of the journey. Daryl will explore areas of construction from properly reinforcing collar points to which sewing machine needles are best. You will learn what seam finishes work, when and how to best apply them, whether the garment is lined or not. Daryl will cover more than half a dozen seam finishes to stabilize and celebrate handwoven silhouettes.
In this five part series, Daryl will guide you through the entire process, from deciding what to weave, selecting the pattern, learning how to fit the pattern for the best results, and finally how to construct garments that flatter, maintain stability in the cloth and pay homage to the creative process. Daryl has spent a lifetime making garments. She became a handweaver in the 1970’s and has passionately combined the two, to create award winning garments from her handwoven fabric.
What you'll learn:
- Understand all about grainlines and how to respect them in sewing.
- Explore construction tools and techniques directly related to handwoven fabric such as needles, stitch length, and the walking foot.
- Understand how to press handwoven fabric
- Learn how to properly reinforce points and trim certain areas to reduce bulk
- Learn all about seam finishes for all types of handwoven garments.
Who should attend:
- Handweavers who would like to create garments from their yardage.
- Garment makers who would like to learn to work with fabrics that have a mind of their own.
- Handweavers and garment makers who want their garments to look polished and professional from both inside and out!
Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the event as well as any handouts referenced during the presentation. You do not have to attend the live event to get the recording of the presentation or the handouts. In all Weaving Today web seminars, no question goes unanswered. Attendees have the ability to chat with the instructor during the live event and ask questions. You will receive a copy of the web seminar presentation in an email that goes out one week after the live event. The answers to questions not covered in the live presentation will be included in this email as well.
About the instructor: Daryl Lancaster, a hand-weaver and fiber artist known for her hand-woven garments, has been sewing for more than 45 years. She gives lectures and workshops to guilds, conferences, and craft centers all over the United States. The former Features Editor for Handwoven Magazine, she frequently contributes to various weaving and sewing publications. Daryl maintains a blog at www.weaversew.com/wordblog
|Product Type||Video Download|
- Another Excellent Webinar
- I've thoroughly enjoyed Daryl Lancaster's webinar series, and this was another excellent video. Daryl's information and visuals are clear, practical, and incredibly helpful. She is an excellent speaker and teacher--I highly recommend this. (Posted on 8/8/2015)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.