From Wool to Waulking: Spinning Wool and Creating Cloth with Norman Kennedy Video Download
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
The History! The Stories! The Techniques!
Join Norman Kennedy in an enthralling workshop about spinning, weaving, and waulking wool.
Following his passion for weaving and knitting around the British Isles and around the world, Norman Kennedy watched traditional artisans making textiles as they had for generations.
By listening to their stories and learning their craft, Norman preserved skills that were on the verge of disappearing.
Now you have the chance to experience these traditions, learn the stories, and gain valuable spinning techniques with this workshop!
In this video workshop, he teaches a new generation of spinners these techniques:
- Oiling wool for carding
- Using hand cards to prepare rolls and batts
- Dressing and spinning with a distaff
- Creating Shetland-style lace yarn
- Successfully spinning wool with a variety of spindles, a treadle wheel, and a great wheel
The workshop culminates in a waulking, a method for fulling cloth that brings people together to finish cloth by hand--led and accompanied by Norman's singing in a variety of languages.
In a bonus segment, Norman demonstrates using a traditional indigo dye vat and discusses a variety of natural dye techniques.
Norman Kennedy teaches using the rich past as his course.
"I don't need to reinvent the wheel. I've got it all behind me, for generations. As they say, I've learned from books, but you're always learning. I'm still always learning. But I got an awful lot of knowledge from people just mentioning things just once and I'd never hear it again. Same with the stories I hear, same with the songs."
|Product Type||Video Download|
|Technique||Using Handspun Yarn|
- Truly enjoyable and enlightening.
- I really enjoy listening to him talk about the history of spinning from the various areas he lived and grew up. I learned so much just from watching what he was doing. A lot of great advise for those who would like to try and spin closer to the roots of spinning. I'm only half way through the video so far and have learned a huge amount. Can't wait to learn more, but first want to go try out all the old spinning techniques he was showing/teaching. (Posted on 1/3/2015)
- Very enjoyable and interesting
Norman Kennedy has a style all his own. In this program he shows many ways to spin wool, dye with indigo, weaving information. The waulking section and the singing brought back memories.
Highly recommended for anyone interested in the old ways. (Posted on 3/7/2014)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.