Fringe Finishes for Your Woven Fabric
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Finishing Techniques for Weavers with Sara Bixler
For most of us as weavers the greatest joy comes from the actually weaving of our piece followed by the pulling it off the loom, but for many the fun stops there. Left with the decision as to how to finish the piece some become indecisive, frustrated or feeling inadequate lacking the skills to complete the project. These projects may simply get finished with the go to overhand knots we learned in beginning weaving, or for a sad few may sit on a shelf or in a drawer until a day comes where you're ready to tackle them all at once. This webinar will help highlight some interesting and simple techniques you can utilize to finish your handwoven fabrics so they are show off ready minutes after pulling them off the loom.
Sara will take you through the decision making process when finishing your handwoven pieces to find just the right finish for your individual project. Students will be taken through the step by step process covering all techniques to help you finish everything from your handwoven scarves to rugs such as fringe finishes, hemming techniques and decorative additions such as beads. Stop delaying finishing your woven pieces, and join Sara for full repertoire of finishing techniques.
What You'll Learn:
- Fringe finishes from overhand knots to Mexican Lace Fringe
- Protectors such as twisted fringe and braids
- How to roll a hem for blankets, towels and rugs
- How to eliminate fringe all together!
- Proper washing and care instruction.
Who Should Attend?
- Weavers in all levels of weaving experience.
- Weavers in need of assistance in finishing their handwoven pieces.
- Weavers who have experienced angst over choosing the correct finish for their finished project.
- Weavers looking for tools to aid in the finishing process when working with handwoven pieces.
- Weavers wanting more control in the finishing process, rather than being surprised or disappointed at the end.
Sara Bixler is one of the resident weaving instructors at the Mannings Handweaving School in East Berlin, Pennsylvania. She holds her degrees in Art Education and Fine Arts from Edinboro University. Her wide-ranging knowledge and love of weaving she gives credit to her father, weaver and instructor Tom Knisely who has been encouraging her artistic ventures since early childhood. Sara's personal passion is color; how it influences our world, all things that reside in it and how we identify with it.
|Product Type||Video Download|
|Technique||Finishing Woven Cloth|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.