Folk Socks The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear Updated Edition
Folk Socks offers 18 sock patterns from European and British traditions, including boot socks, Birkenstock socks, lacy stockings, kilt hose, cabled and clocked socks, and more. Originally published in 1994,Folk Socks taught knitters across North America the ins and outs of traditional sock knitting through Nancy Bush's careful instruction, charts, and illustrations.
This revised edition still contains the same beloved in-depth history and step-by-step instruction from Nancy that sock knitters have come to and depend on. You can also find detailed instruction on essential sock knitting techniques for heel turns, toe shaping, and top ribbing for knitters of all skill levels. New and updated sections include:
- Up-to-date yarn substitutions for yarns that have been discontinued.
- Additional content from Nancy. She has included the new sock knitting knowledge she has gained in the years since Folk Sock's initial publishing date.
- A brand-new bonus section on Estonian-inspired socks.
|Number Of Pages||152|
- I am an avid sock knitter and learning some of the history of sock knitting was very interesting and helpful. I will enjoy the book for years and will enjoy knitting some of the patterns. (Posted on 4/26/2016)
- Best Sock Knitting Book Ever
- This is simply a marvelous book. If you could have only one book on sock knitting, this is the one for you. The historical data gives an in-depth understanding of the background of the sock and is an interesting read. Pattern instructions are clear and concise, and the varied patterns are a wonderful assortment waiting to be knit up. (Posted on 2/17/2016)
- I had purchased many patterns for knitting socks, but this book is one of the best I purchased. Great patterns and very well explained. Thanks! (Posted on 1/2/2016)
- Excellent, fascinating
- Fascinating - a good read and well-presented. The instructions are very clear and the socks look great, so I am looking forward to making some of them. (Posted on 3/15/2014)
- What a great book!!! There are more than 1-2 socks in there I like. I love them all!! Usually when I order a book online there aren't to many projects I would do. But seriously I think I could knit most of them. Outstanding book Nancy Bush!! (Posted on 3/14/2014)
- Interesting, informative, useful... the perfect knitting book.
- I couldn't put this down, and couldn't wait to gather the right yarns to start knitting the beautiful and useful designs. Easy to understand with all the information you need to whip through some great heirlooms that will surely be treasured by family and friends for years to come. A must have for the serious sock knitter.Thank you Nancy! (Posted on 10/27/2013)
- I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book and it was well worth the wait! I have the first edition of Folk Socks and I liked that one as well, but the updates in the book are great! I can see my self knitting every sock featured. For the new knitter...pick up a copy. It will be an indispensable addition to your knitting library and perhaps the only sock book you will ever need. I cannot say enough good about this book! Thank you Nancy Bush! (Posted on 1/7/2012)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.