Folk Knitting, Print Edition
Folk Knitting 2015
Delve into cultures that value handiwork and traditions. Explore multiple continents and historic knitting traditions. This issue will not only reveal folk artistry from across the world but it will ignite your love for the “slow arts.” Reconnect with traditions and cultures.
“Folk art manifests the values and aesthetics of traditional cultures around the world. Via techniques, colors, and motifs passed down from generation to generations (often informally), folk artists express a cultural identity rather than an individual’s.” (Paraphrased by Deborah Gerish from the International Folk Art Alliance’s website)
Deborah (the editor) further writes, “folk artists can survive and even thrive economically because their creations stand out today. Humans decorate their bodies, clothing, and households because they enjoy the process and/or the end result. We have always celebrated beauty alongside function. If you’re a knitter, this concept will not surprise you: you have already felt the thrill of making. With Folk Knitting’s collection of garments and accessories, your artistic repertoire can now include new color combinations, design flourishes, graphic elements, and knitting techniques.”
Features and Projects included in this issue:
- Knitting in Traffic - Linda Cortright
- Tokai Tomoshibi - Vicki Square
- Knot-Topped Calotte - Vicki Square
- Napramach - Vicki Square
- Mongolian Space - Linda Ligon
- Pakul - Vicki Square
- Turnalar Socks - Leslie Comstock
- Medieval Islamic Stockings - Chris Laning
- Kilim Weaving in Fowa - Amy Clarke Moore
- Shoowa Vest - Marianne Isager
- Techniques of Fair Isle Knitting - Ann Feitelson
- Dressel Shawl - Megi Burcl
- Bartók Tunik - Julia Farwell-Clay
- Maarika Bag - Lucinda Guy
- Belarusian Wrist Warmers - Donna Druchunas
- Sámi-Inspired Tunic Sweater - Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts and Deborah Robson
- Ola Placket Pullover - Lucinda Guy
- Dutch Lace Crescent Scarf - Donna Druchunas
- Waltham Cabled Cardigan - Kathy Zimmerman
- Baby Faroe - Ashley Rao
- Celtic Cardigan - Melissa Johnson
- Five Moments in Shetland - Deborah Robson
- Shetland Lace Knitting in New Zealand - Margaret Stove
- Rata Scarf - Margaret Stove
- The Trip I Almost Missed - Patsy Sue Zawistoski
- Popcorns and Points: Andean Knitting Secrets - Mary Jane Mucklestone
- Over the Altiplano and Through the River to Find one Knitted Cap - Cynthia LeCount Samaké
- Inca Child - Marianne Isager
- Peruvian Tasseled Scarf - Linda Ligon
- Handknitting on the Road Less Traveled in Peru - Marilyn Murphy
Order your copy of Folk Knitting today!
- Worst “pattern” and kit ever
- Pattern for Sami-Inspired tunic? Good luck with that
- I bought this magazine primarily for the tunic and even bought the yarn for it while waiting for it to arrive. I open the magazine, turn to page 62, see the charts for the neat colorwork, but where is a regular pattern? Where is CO this amount of stitches? Well guess what folks!! The magazine broke the news to me that I would be working from "pattern guidelines" and suggested I read Ann Budd's proccess in "Knitting A gansey in the Old Way", Interweave Knits, Winter 2004 (available for purchase at $9.99 for the download). I'm am completely disgusted with Interweave. I really wanted to make this tunic..get the magazine and immediately start the PATTERN the night the magazine arrived. Had I realized I would need to learn a new (old) way of making it, I would have not bought this magazine. I did find a guy on Ravelry a few weeks ago selling a similar pattern for a couple bucks. Thanks Interweave! : ( (Posted on 8/17/2015)
- intersting projects
- Interesting projects and the instructions are simple and complete. (Posted on 8/8/2015)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.