Exploring Backstrap Weaving OnDemand Web Seminar
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Exploring Backstrap Weaving:
Learn How to Create Textiles Using the Traditional Guatamalan Technique
Backstrap weaving, an ancient technique that has continued to thrive since the Pre-Columbian era, was historically passed down over the generations through Mayan women. Over the centuries, the backstrap weaving technique has remained unchanged, and is one of the ways in which Mayan women have preserved their identity and culture. With one end of the loom bound to a post or tree while the other is tied around the weaver’s waist, the weaver becomes just as much a part of the loom as the weaving itself. During this course, students will learn how to create and weave on their own backstrap loom, as we create exquisite weavings inspired by the Mayan culture.
With great respect for global weaving traditions, Cynthia founded Weaving Hand in 2007. Weaving Hand focuses on the fiber-based traditions of Nepal, Guatemala, Bolivia, Peru, Indonesia, Bhutan, Philippines, Japan, Laos, Morocco and Tibet. A former employee of Stephanie Odegard Collection, Cynthia was inspired by hand-knotted rugs that sustained weaving communities, while also raising awareness and building respect for the legacy of textile and carpet weaving. Cynthia also works with Guatemalan weavers and have partnered with various Guatemalan cooperatives. Mayan Hands is one of the weaving cooperatives Weaving Hand have partnered with.
You'll learn how to
- Create a woven sampler with various weaving structures
- Learn how to dress the backstrap loom
- Explore the experience of weaving with the backstrap loom
- Discover the feeling of weaving from an ancient loom
Weavers should download this web seminar download who want to...
- Experience traditional weaving.
- Learn about cultural textiles.
- Learn how to use the pick up stick.
- Learn how make string heddles.
- Experience how to weave on Backstrap loom.
- Want to have fun.
- Want a challenge.
About the instructor, Cynthia Alberto:
Cynthia Alberto is an artist, teacher and the founder and director of Weaving Hand. A graduate of the Fashion Institute of Technology (F.I.T.) in New York City, she studied textile surface design with a specialization in weaving. Her personal work as a weaver and fiber artist is to bridge traditional and contemporary forms of weaving, working with conventional materials as well as wires, hairs and other materials. Cynthia is also a backstrap weaver and works with Mayan Guatemalan weavers in Guatemala, Indonesian weavers in Flores Island and New York.
|Product Type||Video Download|
- As an overview it's great ... but, you will not learn how to weave.
I rated this poorly because it was described as a teaching video. If you have never seen backstrap weaving it will be interesting but don't expect to know how to do it after viewing this.
The description of the video says that you will learn the following:
What You’ll Learn
Create a woven sampler with various weaving structures
Learn how to dress the backstrap loom
Explore the experience of weaving with the backstrap loom
Discover the feeling of weaving from an ancient loom
Unfortunately you would have to be a very experienced weaver to pick up anything from this presentation. I know how to weave on a backstrap loom and I kept waiting for the instruction to start but it was simply a slideshow of people learning at the author's studio and a lot of very interesting woven pieces with a touch of history.
(Posted on 10/29/2015)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.