Effectively Buying Gemstones and Identifying Obstacles
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Purchasing gemstones is no easy task for the beginner or seasoned pro. With over 37,000 different varieties of gemstones in the market, it can be daunting to think of what and how to purchase for your needs. Understanding color, size, shape, and hardness issues are all important to purchasing the correct gemstone for your needs.
Join gemologist John Heusler, G.G. for his web seminar that will show you how to make the correct decisions on which types of gems to purchase. Whether you are purchasing for a single project or inventory for an entire year, you will learn how and why certain gems are a must and why others should be avoided. John will also recommend reputable places to purchase gemstones, teach you how to detect issues associated with those purchases, and provide you ample knowledge so you can purchase wisely. Have all the tools you need to be able to jump into a new world of color and beauty with ease.
In this web seminar you will learn:
- What gemstones to purchase and why.
- Tips for finding great suppliers and getting the best prices for gems.
- Important gemstone cutting (lapidary) techniques related to your needs.
- How to spot good quality in faceted and cabochon gemstones.
- Important color theory principles and its uses in selecting gemstones.
- Effective buying strategies for purchasing at gem shows and online.
- And so much more!
About the Instructor:
John F. Heusler, G. G. (GIA) is a gemologist, jewelry designer, and lapidary who has been cutting gems and making jewelry for over 45 years. He is an award-winning designer in both his jewelry design and gem cutting. He owned and operated a fine jewelry store in St. Louis, Missouri for 31 years and is now(?) retired from that store. John has a Facebook page where he shows his newest creations. He teaches classes in jewelry design, lapidary, and carving gemstones. John has traveled to locations all over the world to collect gems. He digs many of his own gemstones which he cuts and sells online, at fine art shows, and at gem and mineral shows. His newest discoveries are Jessite and Kaily Agates which are named after his two daughters Jessica and Kaily. He has written "How To" tutorials and in-depth articles for Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist on both gems that were featured in 2014.
Who Should Attend:
- Beginning jewelry designers.
- Metalsmiths and jewelry designers that are interested in breaking into the gemstone business.
- Seasoned jewelry designers who want to broaden their knowledge in gemstone purchasing.
- Anyone interested in utilizing gemstones in their business or hobby.
- Anyone who loves gemstones and wants to learn more!
|Product Type||Video Download|
|Author/Designer||John F. Heusler|
- Did not present much information on "Effectively Buying Gemstones"
I have purchased stones from John at Quartzite and Tucson and they have been of excellent quality, his finished jewelry pieces are also outstanding. He has always been very helpful and pleasant.
The course outline suggested information would be presented on obtaining the best prices for gemstones as well as dealing with vendors. There was very little information on either topic. The presentation was more of an introduction to gemology rather than a discussion of "Effectively Buying Gemstones." In this regard the presentation was weak. (Posted on 6/5/2015)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.