Designing Wire Jewelry on a Jig
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
Just as rocks have evolved to hammers, and hammers to specialty-use tools that pound with every purpose from setting tacks to forging steel, wire bending tools have progressed through the ages as well. Our jewelry pliers act as extensions of our hands—holding and moving wire into loops and angles—while a wire jig does all that and more simultaneously (think of having the ten-armed Hindu goddess, Durga, sitting on your workbench)! Plus, by virtue of having two hands to move the wire around the tool, smooth, consistent and repeatable shapes are easy to achieve and easier on the body!
Join Brenda Schweder, inventor of the Now That's a Jig! system, for her live web seminar that will explain wire jigs and their history. Then, explore several jig types and their benefits and differences. Brenda will also move you through the uses of wire jigs and what they can do, and how they can make your job as a jewelry designer both easier and gentler on the hands. Finally, she'll show you who takes advantage of these tools (and why) and she'll reveal a suite of finished jewelry pieces that will inspire new designs and ignite your creative technique!
In this web seminar you'll learn:
- What a wire jig is and where it came from.
- Which hand-held and bench-top jigs are on the market and the differences between them.
- When using a jig is a benefit for making smooth, consistent, and precise wire forms.
- How a jig can help makers create pairs, multiples, mirror images, and complex forms.
- How to use a jig to make findings, chain links, focals, and motifs.
- How a jig makes light work of repetitive and difficult wireworking tasks and reduces the need for measuring.
- The benefits of using a wire jig for your health and body.
- And much more!
Brenda Schweder is an artist, author, teacher, columnist, inventor of Now That's a Jig!, and collaborator with Swanstrom Tools USA of the hand-held wire jig Now That's a Pliers!. She's written Collaborate: Friends in the Making (self-published), Steel Wire Jewelry (Lark Jewelry & Beading), and Junk to Jewelry and Vintage Redux (Kalmbach Books). Her designs and fashion jewelry forecasts have been published hundreds of times in books and magazines.
Schweder is a 2015 Step by Step Wire Jewelry's Artist of the Year and pens Creative Minds, a column in Wirework magazine (Kalmbach Publishing Co.) on cultivating personal creativity. She has also been a guest on Beads, Baubles & Jewels with Katie Hacker and Craftcast with Alison Lee. Visit her web site at www.BrendaSchweder.com and catch her on Etsy, Facebook, Pinterest, and her very own YouTube Channel.
Who Should Attend:
- Wireworkers, beaders and jewelry designers who want to enter the wireworking medium or expand their wireworking prowess.
- Bead weavers and mixed media artists who want to create small 2D or 3D wire frames and armatures for use in their work.
- Hobbyists and bench jewelers who want to investigate the benefits of using jigs to create smooth and consistent wire forms.
- Chain makers and production jewelers who want to make multiples of specific components with ease and efficiency.
- Crafters with hand-issues (i.e. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Arthritis, or simple hand weakness) who want to continue their hobbies, without the strain and wear to their bodies.
- Anyone who wants to make jewelry making easier by integrating jig-work into his or her tool repertoire.
|Product Type||Video Download|
- a power point presentation of the work of her and her friends, little if any instruction
- It should be done live and if she chooses to present designs she or friends have done then at least show how the jig was used in the process. And the showing of the jig and its parts was unnecessarily long because why not point it out versus describing top, right, between etc. I gained nothing from this just like the coupon for a half price video which was sent with jig I purchased. I would have thought that the video, although half price, would be about the NTAJ jig but any mention of the jig was in passing. (Posted on 8/11/2015)
- more of a power point presentatio rather than instruction
I was disappointed because I already associate her name with Now That's a Jig. Although I realize there is now a pliers set I saw no reason to spend about15+ minutes describing all kinds of jigs. This was a fancy power point presentation with out really showing much of the jig and how to use it other than the a few parts and some shots describing leverage. It would have been best if the rest of the video had been done with a live person so that when you are talking about certain designs and jig forming you can actually show it. Everything was so slow and laborious in the explanations. This was not a helpful video. This experience is similar what happened when I bought the jig and there was a 50% coupon again by Brenda so therefore I assumed she would talk about the jig but she did not except in passing. Working with wire does not mean working with the jig (NTAJ) or with a jig at all. Forewarned and a little investigation might have saved me time and money.
(Posted on 8/11/2015)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.