Create the Perfect Fit: Measuring and Pattern Fitting for Real Sewing Solutions
Create the Perfect Fit teaches the method that Joi Mahon teaches across the country in her design classes anduses in the studio every day with her clients.
Joi will guide you through evaluating the body, compensating for figure variations, taking extensive measurements and applying them to a commercial pattern to see how these vital pattern adjustments affect fit.
You'll love this book if:
- You are looking for a tried-and-true measuring and fitting method that will create the perfect fit.
- You want a method that works with any pattern, from fitted dresses to ball gowns, and works for all body types.
- You want a book that clearly demonstrates the methods to create perfectly fitted gowns.
Discover how you can create a custom-fit pattern when Joi's 3-D measurement method is applied to all the 2-D patterns you have been dying to start!
Order or Download Joi Mahon's Create the Perfect Fit today!
|Number Of Pages||144|
|File/Trim Size||8.2" x 1" x 10.9"|
- Perfect non-threatening introduction to fitting for beginning sewers
Most people who sew love the construction part but dislike fitting - but you can't skip fitting because you'll never wear anything you sew if it doesn't fit.
I work in the apparel industry, and I stopped sewing for myself because fitting patterns is a bore and a chore. I took both her Craftsy classes, and I love Joi's technique because it's intuitive and skips the endless time-and-resource-consuming muslin-making and "tissue fitting" of other methods. I love how this book shows measurement points on live models with tape over garments so you can see where on the body to measure, and how that corresponds to the garment. The chapters include measuring and pattern protocol, vertical and horizontal adjustments, vertical and horizontal lower body adjustments (including tips on how to apply to making pants), a section on ease and polishing fit, then she has a part about applying the techniques to specific styles like boxy jackets, classic blouses, and ball gowns. Finally, she has several real-life case studies of fit on various people. Finally, she has some tips on applying the methods to menswear.
While this method won't cover every fitting need you'll ever come across (if you want to make really artistic gowns or high-end tailored menswear, for example, or you have some extreme fitting issues, you'll probably need to learn a more sophisticated fitting system), but this works for 80% of what I like to make and gets me to the fun part of sewing in the shortest amount of time.
One thing to know about this is that you do need to have a really good set of measurements of your body for this method to be effective, so you kind of do need a sewing buddy for that. However, if you are doing this all by yourself, I recommend Don McCunn's "How To Make Sewing Patterns" - he has some very clever tips on measuring and fitting on your own body. (Posted on 9/27/2014)
- Have not read yet
- I just received my order 2 days ago ( 9/13/14 ) and have not had time to digest it. (Posted on 9/15/2014)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.