Cloth Dolls For Textile Artists
Dolls provide textile artists with the perfect medium for exploring stitch and textile techniques. In Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists, artist and teacher Ray Slater presents the basic principles and techniques of doll making so readers can transfer their work into a three-dimensional format.
The author provides patterns for different shapes of dolls, from the simplest stump doll to the more complicated jointed doll. Practical instruction on needle-sculpting expressive faces using needle and thread embroidery is described, as well as details on how to use the patterns to make the basic cloth doll. Artists can then really start to express themselves by using a range of textile techniques on the doll whether directly on to the body or on the clothes worn - from beading, hand embroidering, machine embroidering, stamping, dyeing, felting (ideal for hair!), and even quilting.
The book includes full step-by-step instructions on all the techniques and patterns and stunning images of the creative cloth dolls from textile artists around the world. Doll makers and textile artists will be inspired by the techniques in this book and will explore and develop these to decorate and embellish their dolls.
Reviews: "A great resource, not only for textile artists, but for doll makers, in general, or anyone wishing to know more about the techniques of fabric embellishment."-Bangor Daily News
|Number Of Pages||128|
- Gorgeous Book
- Loved the book and the dolls illustrated. And if I may comment on the first review, I'd like to point out that the title of the book is "Cloth Dolls FOR TEXTILE ARTISTS" rather than "...for people who are just learning to sew." That probably makes a big difference in the amount of detail included in the "instructions." (Posted on 2/4/2011)
- I bought this book intrigued by the cover and hoping to find instruction on how to accomplish that look. The book is filled with beautiful pictures of dolls with unique material applications. However, overall I felt the information on how-to-do-it is lacking in clarity and it feels like part of the process was left out, making it impossible for me(anyway)to accomplish the techniques. It''s too bad really, but maybe I can take it to someone with more sewing experience than I have and they can show me what she is talking about. I wouldn''t recommend it for beginners like myself unless you like pretty pictures. (Posted on 8/3/2010)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.