Boutonné Pillow Cover Kit in Sky
Price as configured: $25.99 Regular Price: $59.99
Delve into the rich history of Canadian coverlet weaving and give a modern twist to the craft of boutenné weaving with the Boutenné Pillow Cover Kit in Sky. By practicing this beautiful yet simple type of pile weaving with the exquisite yarns included, you can create a stunning pillow cover using a simple rigid-heddle or 2-harness loom.
Included in this Kit:
Boutenné Video Download + Handout
with Sara Bixler
In this 44-minute video, you'll learn about the simple weave structure, boutenné. This fancy pile weav can be woven on the most basic piece of equipment. For this tutorial, the project is woven on a rigid-heddle loom. boutenné means "to create knots" and you will learn how to use these charming loops to amle free floating images.
- Rigid-heddle loom
- 2 stitck shuttles
- Small sharp scissors
- Dowel rod
- Chart keeper (optional)
- Highlighter tape (optional)
Jagger Spun Zephyr Wool-Silk 2/18 Yarn in "Blueberry"
from Halcyon Yarn
Blend of lace-weight Australian superfine merino wool and soft silk make a luxurious yarn that can be worn next to the skin. Besides its sensuous texture, the wool/silk blend makes it warm for winter and cool in summer.
- Unit: 1 lb cone
- Fiber content: 50% Wool, 50% Silk
- Yards/pound: 5040
- Knitting weight: Lace
- Yardage/unit: 5040 yards / 1 lb cone
- Wraps/inch: 30 (wpi)
- Weaving tabby sett: 18 to 20
- Weaving twill sett: 22 to 28
Venice Yarn in "Silver"
from Hand Painted Knitting Yarns (HPKY)
The Venice yarn is an I-cord or chainette yarn. The yarn is not spun, it is knitted using four stitches in the round on a machine. The knitting head uses the lurex to create the chain. When the needle comes up to grab the yarn to create a new stitch a bunch of the Fine Baby Alpaca Fibers are being knitted into the chain. The result is a very light weight fluffy yarn. The lurex is surrounded by the Alpaca Fibers and therefor it is non scratchy, perfect for cuddling scarves or shawls.
- Yarn Weight: Worsted Weight
- Yardage: 300 yards per 3.5 oz. Skein
- Fibers:50% Fine Baby Alpaca / 22% Nylon (binder) / 21% Polyester (Lurex) / 7% Fine Merino
- Gauge: 3 - 4 stitches per inch
- I'm just ordering a kit but have done this technique before. It's fun! As to the dowel, if you knit, your longest needles may be easier to use. It was my rod of choice - right diameter and smooth.
- A bit confusing
- If I were a novice weaver I would find the instructions confusing...firstly, the warp calculations...sett 24 epi, 14" wide which would be a total of 336 warp ends. But in the instructions it states 334 warp ends with no explanation as to what happened to the other two warp ends ( are they doubled in the first & last heddle?). Secondly, in the instructions, tools needed....1 dowel rod, 1/4" thick but in the video, Sara shows us the dowel rod she will be using & says it is 1/8" thick! As I said, confusing. However, she is very articulate when showing how the boutonne is created & so I gave this product a 4 star rating. (Posted on 9/7/2016)
- Fabulous little project
- I love Sarah Bixler's videos: she's articulate, focused, and adorable. This kit was a lot of fun to weave up. Take her advice on the smoothed and waxed dowel: do not take shortcuts! The kit comes w/ plenty of yarn to weave two complete panels of the design, plus plenty extra to sample with. I did this on my way-too-big floor loom, but once the heddles were threaded (yes: that was a nightmare. See Tom's video on Weaving with Novelty Yarns - very helpful here!), it went very quickly. My first panel was a little wobbly, but it will be the back of the pillow and is just fine. One last word of warning: the looped pile threads do not hold up to kitten claws, but are pretty easy to re-pull. (Posted on 9/5/2016)
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.