Book + Art eBook
This product will be accessible from My Downloadable Products located in My Account after purchase.
You’ll Love This Book Art Book If:
- You want to look at art in a new way
- You love creating unique mixed media paper projects
- You want to explore the exciting world of book art
Go beyond the basic book arts and see the book as art itself. This book of book art projects from Dorothy Simpson Krause. Learn about structure styles and basic techniques for creating art pieces out of paper or altering books in order to make art. Find inspiration for new art projects involving books, you’ll even learn how to make a book.
Make a book folded from a single piece of paper or learn how to incorporate printmaking into your book art. Learn the basics of binding techniques and so much more as Dorothy takes you step by step through several book art projects. The convenient eBook format allows you to download this great art instruction right to your computer. Print out only the page you need and save your paper for your next art piece!
In Book + Art You’ll Learn:
- Tips and techniques for binding books, collages and concertinas
- How to create and work with side-sewn, single-signature and multiple-signature books
- How to make art from blank books and altered books
Check Out This Excerpt from Book + Art :
- Use the art and book tools and materials you have, substituting where possible.
- Cover your work surfaces with plastic bags, plastic sheeting, paper or chopping mats to make clean-up simple. I have 4' x 8' (1m x 2m) sheets of polypropylene, a plastic nothing sticks to, on my work tables.
- Check with a framer or commercial printer to see if you can get scraps of mat board or papers trimmed from their projects. Pieces that are too small for them to use are often perfect for book pages and covers, and large quantities can be had for little or no cost. A woodworker may be a good source of interesting woods.
- A craftsman who works with leather, making handbags or clothing, may also have scraps large enough for spines, separate front and back covers, inlays and onlays. Although you will probably have to pay a nominal charge, it will be much less than if you were buying skins, and you will have a variety of colors and textures. Clothing leather is thin and soft and, it doesn't require paring to wrap around boards.
- A weight, which can act as a substitute for a book press, can be made from a flat-bottomed pan filled with bricks.
- Spring clamps can also act as a substitute book press. Be sure to put your book between rigid boards so that the clamps won't leave marks.
- A small weight, especially useful for holding your book open when sewing, can be made by covering a brick, buckshot or other heavy item with fabric, or by using a piece of metal or polished stone scrap. If you can find one, an antique flat iron is both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
- A bone folder will make marks on paper and fabric; a Teflon folder is more expensive but leaves no marks. You can clean a bone folder by sanding, but sanding a Teflon folder releases particles that are hazardous to your health.
- A can nailed or screwed to the edge of your worktable is a handy and safe place for a hot air gun
A Word From the Author:
" While some books may have an artist, writer, editor, designer, papermaker, typographer, printer and binder involved in the production, in artist books, the artist often does it all. And that's what you will be doing in this book. You will explore a variety of books and book-like forms, and learn processes and techniques that will allow you to make books as an expression of your art. For the most part, these unique books will be one-of-a-kind." — Annie Dorothy Simpson Krause
|File/Trim Size||42 MB|
|Author/Designer||Dorothy Simpson Krause|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! in the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen is a list of options. Click on MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS.
- Underneath the Product Title will be the download link. Click the link to view the PDF or Video.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click Save.
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org/
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Online Workshops and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Go to https://www.interweave.com
- Click on Sign Up/Sign In at the top right corner.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click on Welcome, (your name)! At the top right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on MY Workshops.
- Click Go to Course link to the far right of the course title. If nothing happens, verify that your pop-up blocker is off.
- If you are directed to a screen asking for your name and email address, fill in the information.
- You will be taken to your Dashboard, where you will see your course listed.
- Click on the teal button to the far right of the course title. It should either say Start Watching or Continue.
- Click the Play button to start viewing the course.
*If there are course materials available, they will be found under the Menu tab at the top of the viewing window.
To Access Online Workshop Materials:
- Click on the Menu tab.
- Click on Resources.
- You will see the number of Files available for the course.
- Click Files.
- Click View/Download to the right of the file title to access it.
If you do not see this notification, you simply have to navigate to your web browser's "settings" and disable your popup blocker there, or choose to allow popups on our site.
For instructions on Chrome go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
For courses on Apple mobile devices, such as iPad and iPhone, go into iPhone settings -> safari -> block popups and turn it off.
Then when you click on "go to course" from your device's internet browser app, you will be asked to allow popups for this site. Choose yes, and you should be good to go.